What is the Contribution of Segments AB and CD to the Magnetic Field at Point O?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnetic field at point O using the equation B = μ_o/4π*Ι*L/R^2. The relevant segments for this calculation are AB and CD, as segments BC and DA do not contribute to the magnetic field at point O. The conversation also mentions finding the lengths of AB and CD using the formula L = R*θ, with the angle subtended by the segments at the center being π/3.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/babyazureyoshi/?action=view&current=014.jpg

Homework Equations

1) B_x = (µ_0 * I) / 2R at x = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that segments BC and DA do not contribute to the magnetic field at O so all I need to know is the contribution for segments AB and CD. Using equation one, I simplified the formula to ((µ_0 * I) / 2) * ((1/0.6) +(1/0.4)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equation is for the circular conductor.
Ηere you have to use
B = μ_o/4π*Ι*L/R^2.
Since angle subtended by the segments at the center is π/3, you can find the lengths of the segments by using the formula L = R*θ

This gives me the total magnetic field at O to be B = (µ_0 * I) * (5/6). However, I also need to take into account the direction of the magnetic field, which will depend on the direction of the current in each segment. To determine this, I would need to know the direction of the current flow in each segment, or the direction of the magnetic field created by each segment. This information is not provided in the given diagram, so I would need to make assumptions or gather more information in order to accurately determine the direction of the magnetic field at point O. Additionally, I would need to consider the superposition principle to account for the vector sum of the magnetic fields from both segments AB and CD at point O.

1. What are the two main types of sources that create magnetic fields?

The two main types of sources that create magnetic fields are electric currents and magnetic materials. Electric currents produce magnetic fields through the movement of charged particles, while magnetic materials, such as magnets, have their own intrinsic magnetic fields.

2. How do electric currents create magnetic fields?

Electric currents create magnetic fields through the flow of charged particles, which produce a circular magnetic field around the current. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the magnitude of the current and the distance from the current.

3. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are actually different manifestations of the same force, known as electromagnetism. Moving electric charges create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents.

4. Can magnetic fields exist without electric fields?

Yes, magnetic fields can exist without electric fields. This is because magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, which can exist without the presence of an electric field. However, electric fields cannot exist without magnetic fields.

5. What are some natural sources of magnetic fields?

The Earth's magnetic field and the magnetic fields of other planets are natural sources of magnetic fields. Additionally, the Sun and other stars have their own magnetic fields, which can cause phenomena like solar flares and auroras. Lightning strikes and electric currents in the atmosphere also create magnetic fields.