Predicting time for water to drain from cup

• Thread starter SkiBum326
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Water
In summary: The data collected seems to be inaccurate and there is uncertainty about getting another chance to collect data. The person is seeking either a solution to this problem or a formula to calculate the time it will take for water to drain from a specific cup. In summary, the conversation revolves around predicting the time it will take for water to drain from a cup and the variables involved in the process. The person is looking for a solution or formula to accurately calculate the time.
SkiBum326
Hey,

To start off, we are supposed to be able to predict how long it will take for water to drain from a specific cup. There are 2 variables in this, the height of the water in the cup (not volume), and the size of the hole in the bottom of the cup.

The data I collected appears to be incorrect and I don't no if ill have another chance to collect data. What I basically wanted to know is either a way to go about solving this problem, or if there was a formula for this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SkiBum326 said:
Hey,

To start off, we are supposed to be able to predict how long it will take for water to drain from a specific cup. There are 2 variables in this, the height of the water in the cup (not volume), and the size of the hole in the bottom of the cup.

The data I collected appears to be incorrect and I don't no if ill have another chance to collect data. What I basically wanted to know is either a way to go about solving this problem, or if there was a formula for this.

Thanks
The rate of flow depends on the height of the water in the cup and the size of the hole in the bottom of the cup. But the time it will take for water to drain from a specific cup depends on the volume along with the other variables.

for your question! As a scientist, it is important to always have accurate and reliable data when conducting experiments. If the data you have collected appears to be incorrect, it is important to try to identify the source of the error and correct it if possible. If you are unable to collect more data, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field to see if there is a known formula or method for predicting the time it takes for water to drain from a cup. Additionally, it may be helpful to conduct further research on the topic to see if any studies or experiments have been done on this subject before. Good luck with your experiment!

1. How does the size of the cup affect the time it takes for water to drain?

The size of the cup can affect the time it takes for water to drain because a larger cup will have a larger volume of water which will take longer to drain compared to a smaller cup with a smaller volume of water.

2. Does the shape of the cup impact the draining time?

Yes, the shape of the cup can impact the draining time. A cup with a wider opening will allow for faster draining compared to a cup with a narrow opening. The shape of the cup can also affect the surface tension of the water, which can impact the draining time.

3. How does the temperature of the water affect the draining time?

The temperature of the water can impact the draining time because colder water has a higher viscosity, meaning it flows slower compared to warmer water. This can result in a longer draining time for colder water.

4. Is there a relationship between the height of the cup and the draining time?

Yes, there is a relationship between the height of the cup and the draining time. A taller cup will have a longer distance for the water to travel, resulting in a longer draining time compared to a shorter cup.

5. Can the material of the cup affect the draining time?

Yes, the material of the cup can affect the draining time. A smoother surface, such as glass, will allow for faster drainage compared to a rougher surface, such as paper or cardboard. This is because a smoother surface will have less friction, allowing the water to flow more freely.