Simple question about spontaneous particle production

In summary, particles can be created spontaneously out of nothing and then recombine and annihilate each other within a certain time frame allowed by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. If they do not recombine, they become real particles, potentially stealing energy from the system that does not allow them to recombine. There is no such thing as negative energy in particles, but it is a concept used to explain Hawking radiation and particle pair production. The physical vacuum is the lowest energetic state and pair production occurs from the ground pair states, similar to atom ionization in an electric field. The concept of negative energy is not universally accepted and there is debate among experts about its validity.
jnorman
okay, so pairs of particles can be created spontaneously out of nothing (from ZPE?), and then within the time allowed by HUP, recombine and annihilate each other. correct so far? if they do not recombine, they each become real particles, (does that mean we have stolen energy from nowhere?).

the particles must, by definition, comprise a particle and its antiparticle. generally, when a particle and antiparticle annihilate, energy (pairs of high-energy photons) is released. so, first question:

1. is energy actually released into the universe when particles produced by spontaneous particle process recombine and annihilate? or does the (virtual?) energy released from the annihilation get "absorbed" back into the ZPE from which it came? if no energy is released, how does the universe know the difference between "real" particle/anitparticle annihilation and the annihilation of spontaneously created particles (are they not real particles)?

hawking radiation apparently depends on the capture of a "negative energy" particle by a BH. i thought real particles such as electrons and positrons both had positive energy, just opposite charge and mirror image. frankly, i do not understand how a particle can have negative energy. so, second question:

2. does one of the particles created during spontaneous pair production have a negative energy state? how? what is the difference between them and regular particles/antiparticles that would give them negative energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
No particle has negative energy, but I don't know exactly where the additional energy comes from if they do not recombine, perhaps it is taken from the system that does not allow them to recombine? For example, loss of gravitational field energy of a black hole as it leaks due to Hawking radiation? That's a speculation and I don't know for sure.I believe a lot of the explanation to this question is due to 'vacuum energy', which I don't understand massively myself.

jnorman said:
okay, so pairs of particles can be created spontaneously out of nothing (from ZPE?), and then within the time allowed by HUP, recombine and annihilate each other. correct so far?

No, it is not correct. It is overly popularized picture. The physical vacuum is the lowest energetic state. Take an atom in its ground state. There is no virtual particles. Only if one looks at the atomic wave function as at "fluctuations" of electric charge, one invents such stuff as "spontaneous springing up" or something alike. Its just a vulgarization of science.

If you put an atom in an electric field, it can get ionized. You see, the electron is not created from nothing. The same is valid for pairs.

Last edited:
mikey - inre: "No particle has negative energy." from the wiki entry on hawking radiation, it states: " In order to preserve total energy, the particle that falls into the black hole must have a negative energy" - now i know that wiki isn't flawless, but i have read pretty much the same comment in a variety of references. what do you think they are talking about?

bob - your response completely confused me. are you saying that there is no such thing as spontaneous particle pair production?

thanks to you both for responding.

jnorman said:
bob - your response completely confused me. are you saying that there is no such thing as spontaneous particle pair production?

No, there is a spontaneous particle production, like atom ionization in electric field (kind of tunneling effect). The pair arise not from nothing but from the ground pair states.

You know, the positronium is a neutral system but with mass. There is even lower pair ground state - with zero energy. Like two charges put "very close" to each other, speaking classically. To excite such a state or separate charges one needs a strong electric field.

jnorman said:
mikey - inre: "No particle has negative energy." from the wiki entry on hawking radiation, it states: " In order to preserve total energy, the particle that falls into the black hole must have a negative energy" - now i know that wiki isn't flawless, but i have read pretty much the same comment in a variety of references. what do you think they are talking about?

I don't know, that's not the way I was taught it. The next part is something like "from an observer who is distant", so my question is, who cares what they think about a particle which spent its entire life in a causally disconnected part of spacetime to them? I guess that's not too helpful though.

Wikipedia I find is awful at getting to the point, and always rambles around a subject without delivering the crucial concise explanation that a textbook can deliver, so I'm interested to read about this negative energy viewpoint as expressed by other people. I have seen a positron been described as negative energy in a similar way that a "hole" in a conductor full of electrons is, that is, hole+electron = annihilation.

What is spontaneous particle production?

Spontaneous particle production is a phenomenon in which particles are created without any external influence or input. This can occur in various physical systems, such as in quantum field theory or in the early universe.

Is spontaneous particle production a real phenomenon?

Yes, spontaneous particle production has been observed and studied in various experimental and theoretical contexts. It is a well-established phenomenon in physics.

How does spontaneous particle production occur?

The exact mechanism of spontaneous particle production depends on the system in which it occurs. In quantum field theory, it is believed to be a result of the quantum fluctuations of the underlying fields. In the early universe, it is thought to be a consequence of the rapid expansion of space during the period of inflation.

What are the implications of spontaneous particle production?

Spontaneous particle production has significant implications in various fields of physics, such as cosmology, particle physics, and quantum mechanics. It helps us understand the behavior of fundamental particles and the evolution of the universe.

Can spontaneous particle production be controlled or harnessed?

Currently, spontaneous particle production cannot be controlled or harnessed for practical purposes. However, ongoing research in quantum technologies may one day lead to potential applications of this phenomenon.