Where Can I Find Resources for Understanding Stern-Gerlach Experiment Math?

In summary, the person is looking for resources to learn the math involved in describing atomic states and outcome probabilities in Stern-Gerlach experiments. They are having trouble finding online courses or books that specifically cover this topic, as most quantum courses start with more basic concepts. The math involved is a combination of probability theory and linear algebra, which should have been covered in their previous math courses. Some suggestions for resources include Sakurai's book and Feynman's Lecture on Physics Volume III.
phil ess
Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone knows any good resources to learn the math involved in describing atomic states and outcome probabilities in Stern-gerlach experiments.

This is to help me with my coursework, but I can't find a single online quantum course or anything that deals expressly with this. Most quantum courses start with introducing Schrodinger's equation and stuff like photoelectric effect and the hydrogen atom, but my intro quantum course deals only with determining probabilities for outcomes in Stern-gerlach experiments and the associated mathematical framework.

If anyone has some sites/books that they know of which deals with this stuff it would help me a lot!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The math is pretty straightforward, it is just basic probability theory combined with some linear algebra. This should have been covered in your math courses.

I can't think of a QM book deals explicity with the math, most books will just assume that you already know this stuff (although books like Sakurai uses the S-G experiment to introduce some of the notation etc that is specific to QM, such as bra-ket notation).

Feynman's Lecture on Physics Volume III has pretty good explanations of spin without delving into details of angular momentum operator math.

What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a physics experiment that demonstrates the concept of quantum spin. It involves passing a beam of particles through a magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles based on their spin.

How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a key demonstration of the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the idea of superposition and the quantization of angular momentum. It also provides evidence for the existence of intrinsic spin in particles.

What are the mathematical resources needed to understand the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

To understand the Stern-Gerlach experiment, one needs a solid understanding of linear algebra, quantum mechanics, and classical electromagnetism. Knowledge of probability theory and statistical mechanics may also be helpful.

Are there any online resources available for learning about the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about the Stern-Gerlach experiment. These include lecture notes, videos, interactive simulations, and online courses. Many universities also have resources available on their websites.

What are some common misconceptions about the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

One common misconception is that the experiment only applies to electrons. In reality, it can be performed with any type of particle with intrinsic spin. Another misconception is that the experiment directly measures the spin of particles, when in fact it measures the projection of spin onto a specific direction.