Differentiation under integral sign

In summary, "Differentiation under integral sign" is a mathematical technique used to differentiate a function defined by an integral. It is useful in solving difficult integrals and has applications in finding derivatives, evaluating improper integrals, and solving differential equations. The general formula for this technique is the Leibniz integral rule, but it is limited to integrals with a variable in the limits of integration and a continuous integrand.
neelakash

Homework Statement

I have to evaluate the numerical value of the derivative of the following integral for x=1

[tex]\int_{0}^{\ ln\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x\ (\ t^2\ -\ 2)}\ dt[/tex]

Homework Equations

The formula for differentitation under integral sign.

The Attempt at a Solution

The upper limit term is straightforward:it is

[tex]\frac{\ 1}{\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x[\ (\ ln\ x)^{\ 2}\ -\ 2]}[/tex]

The other part is

[tex]\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\frac{\partial}{\partial\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x(\ t^2\ -2)}\ dt\ =\ -\ e^{\ -\ 2\ x}\ [\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\ t^2\ e^{\ -\ x\ t^2}\ dt\ -\ 2\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x\ t^2}\ dt\ ][/tex]

The later can be evaluated and I got the following:

[tex]\ -\ e^{\ -\ 2\ x}\ [\frac{\ -(\ ln\ x)\ e^{\ -\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}}{\ 2\ x}\ +\int_0^{\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}\frac{\ e^{\ -\ u}}{4x\sqrt{ux}}\ du\ -\int_0^{\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}\frac{\ e^{\ -\ u}}{\sqrt{ux}}\ du}][/tex]

I found the result as above.However,the two integrals neither cancel with each other nor can be evaluated.Can anyone please check and tell what should be done further.

Neel

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let,
[tex]F(x) = \int_{0}^x e^{-e^x (t^2 - 2)} \text{ d}t[/tex]
so you want to find the derivative of F(ln(x)) which you can do using the chain rule.

Does not help;it ultimately reduces to what I have got...

The thing lies in putting the limits without explicitly solving the final two inntegrals.They give zero.

I helped neelakash with this problem on another forum (http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=99010). As he arrived at the correct answer there, I have no qualms posting the solution here for future reference by others.

neelakash did use the appropriate technique for differentiating under the integral sign, the Leibniz Integral Rule:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t,x)\,dt =
\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} \frac{\partial} {\partial x} f(t,x)\,dt +
f(b(x),x)\frac{db(x)}{dx} - f(a(x),x)\frac{da(x)}{dx}[/tex]

In this particular problem,

[tex]f(t,x) = \exp\left(-x(t^2-2)\right),\quad a(x)=0, \quad b(x)=\ln x[/tex]

The partial derivative of f(t,x) wrt x is

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}f(t,x) = -(t^2-2) \exp\left(-x(t^2-2)\right)[/tex]

Applying the Leibniz Integral Rule,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\int_0^{\ln x} \exp\left(-x(t^2-2)\right)\,dt\right) =
-\left(\int_0^{\ln x} (t^2-2) \exp\left(-x\bigl(t^2-2)\right) \,dt\right) +
\exp\left(-x(\ln^2x-2)\right)/x[/tex]There is a sign error in the original post (that exp(-2x) should be an exp(2x)). Additionally, neelakash carried the integration a step too far. That integral on the right-hand side is evaluable in terms of the error function erf(x).However, there is no reason to do this. neelakash finally saw the "Oh, SNAP!" light that makes this problem particularly easy. From that other forum,
neelakash said:
OK,now I think I see the crux of the matter:

whatever the indefinite integral is,the resulting form will be

[tex]\ [\ f(\ t,\ x)\ ]_{\ t\ =0}^{t\ =\ ln\ x}[/tex] at x=1

After putting t= ln x in the indefinite integral inside the square bracket and then letting x=1 is equivalent to replace x (inside the indefinite integral) by one and letting the upper limit be ln(1)

Thus,the form becomes

[tex]\ [\ ...\ ]_0^{ln(1)}\ =\ [\ ...\ ]_0^0\ =0[/tex] as the upper and lower limits are the same.OK?

You're right, I'm sorry for the wrong suggestion. Anyway try substituting x=1 in the terms you found. The integrals should disappear due to ln(x)=0 and the upper limit term should become e^2.

neelakash said:

Homework Statement

I have to evaluate the numerical value of the derivative of the following integral for x=1

[tex]\int_{0}^{\ ln\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x\ (\ t^2\ -\ 2)}\ dt[/tex]

Homework Equations

The formula for differentitation under integral sign.

The Attempt at a Solution

The upper limit term is straightforward:it is

[tex]\frac{\ 1}{\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x[\ (\ ln\ x)^{\ 2}\ -\ 2]}[/tex]

The other part is

[tex]\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\frac{\partial}{\partial\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x(\ t^2\ -2)}\ dt\ =\ -\ e^{\ -\ 2\ x}\ [\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\ t^2\ e^{\ -\ x\ t^2}\ dt\ -\ 2\int_0^{\ ln\ x}\ e^{\ -\ x\ t^2}\ dt\ ][/tex]

The later can be evaluated and I got the following:

[tex]\ -\ e^{\ -\ 2\ x}\ [\frac{\ -(\ ln\ x)\ e^{\ -\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}}{\ 2\ x}\ +\int_0^{\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}\frac{\ e^{\ -\ u}}{4x\sqrt{ux}}\ du\ -\int_0^{\ x(\ ln\ x)^2}\frac{\ e^{\ -\ u}}{\sqrt{ux}}\ du}][/tex]

I found the result as above.However,the two integrals neither cancel with each other nor can be evaluated.Can anyone please check and tell what should be done further.

Neel
When x= 1, ln(x)= ln(1)= 0 so x ln(x)= 1(0)= 0. Both integrals are from 0 to 0 and so are qual to 0.

Yes,we need not carry out the integral explicitly as the answer comes from observation.

1. What is "Differentiation under integral sign"?

"Differentiation under integral sign" refers to a mathematical technique used to differentiate a function that is defined by an integral. It involves differentiating the integrand (the function inside the integral) with respect to a variable in the integrand's limits of integration.

2. Why is "Differentiation under integral sign" useful?

This technique can be useful in solving difficult integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It allows us to avoid the tedious process of integration and instead focus on differentiating a simpler function.

3. What are some common applications of "Differentiation under integral sign"?

Some common applications include finding the derivative of a function defined by an integral, evaluating improper integrals, and solving differential equations.

4. What is the general formula for "Differentiation under integral sign"?

The general formula is given by the Leibniz integral rule, which states that the derivative of an integral with respect to a variable is equal to the integrand evaluated at the upper limit of integration times the derivative of the upper limit, minus the integrand evaluated at the lower limit of integration times the derivative of the lower limit, plus the integral of the derivative of the integrand with respect to the variable.

5. Are there any limitations to "Differentiation under integral sign"?

Yes, this technique is not applicable to all integrals. It only works for integrals with a variable in the upper or lower limit of integration and a continuous integrand.