E-Cigarettes, being hailed as the smoker's smart choice

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, E-cigarettes are being hailed as a smarter choice for smokers due to their lack of additives and chemicals compared to traditional cigarettes. They are also seen as more cost effective and convenient. However, there are concerns about the safety and effectiveness of e-cigarettes, with some studies showing the presence of carcinogens and concerns about second-hand smoke. Some individuals have found success in quitting smoking with e-cigarettes, while others have found them to be just as addictive. There is also debate on whether e-cigarettes truly satisfy nicotine cravings. Ultimately, the decision to use e-cigarettes as a method to quit smoking is a personal one and may not work for everyone.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
E Cigarettes, Electronic Cigarettes
Being hailed as the smoker's smart choice, the decision is easy to become an instant modern smoker. Because they are absent thousands of additives and chemicals when compared to tobacco cigarettes, the new wave of e-cigarettes are more cost effective and more convenient than traditional cigarettes. Make the smart choice, without putting yourself or loved ones in the danger zone of tobacco based cigarettes...
http://www.ecigaretteschoice.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

What's the question? :smile:

Are they safe? Do they work? Is this better than smoking regular cigarettes? Are the claims made, factual?

Do we have any smokers who have tried these? If so, what did you think?

Likes xAxis

Nicotine itself and in pharmaceutical doses is not particularly hazardous. Cigarettes 'toxicity' is from the combustion by-products.

My computer is playing up and I don't see the link, but think some friends use those, but are still compelled to use them out-doors.

Did you review the FDA study? They link to it at the bottom of this page:
http://www.ecigaretteschoice.com/news/5/FDA-Study-Proves-E%252dCigarettes-Are-Safer-Than-Tobacco-Cigarettes.html

Direct link to the pub:
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/UCM173250.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess there are two important issues.

First, is the vapor they produce really free of nicotine and other harmful smoke substances so that the users of these are avoiding subjecting others to second-hand smoke.

Second, especially in light of the CNN article suggesting they aren't delivering the same amount of nicotine as a cigarette, is whether the people using them are sufficiently able to convince themselves that they feel enough like holding a cigarette to help them break their habit. There are plenty of ex-smokers who will report that a hard thing to give up was having something to hold in their hand or put in their mouth even after they're weaned from the nicotine.

I switched to electronic cigarettes and am very happy. The comment that they don't deliver nicotine is just plain false. Nicotine liquid comes in varied strengths and it is quite easy to tell the difference between an 18 mg liquid and a 0mg liquid. Now, is it the same amount of nicotine as a cigarette? I don't know, but it is certainly enough to satisfy my cravings.

As to the safety aspect, yes the FDA did find several carcinogens in the nicotine liquid they tested, but any nicotine from tobacco is going to also contain trace amounts of the other carcinogens in tobacco. This is the same as any other nicotine product such as gum or the patch.The FDA did also find 1% Diethylene glycol in one of the cartridges sampled. Call it a quality control issue, these things are made in china. Also considering the largest e-cigarette cartridges contain about 1ml liquid and probable lethal dose is .5-5g/kg, the amount is trivial.

In conclusion I have seen nothing showing electronic cigarettes to be worse than the real alternative, and have been quite happy with my health improvements since switching. I just wish the misinformation about them would end. I get tired of hearing that they are made with antifreeze.

Last edited:

I am a quitter of 5-6 months. E-cigarettes (well, any substitution really) just didn't do it for me. It kept me addicted is what it did. E-cigarettes scared me though...

Moonbear said:
I guess there are two important issues.

First, is the vapor they produce really free of nicotine and other harmful smoke substances so that the users of these are avoiding subjecting others to second-hand smoke.

No, I don't think the vapor is free of nicotine (I don't know how it could be). It doesn't go as far as cigarettes before condensing though. Is that really a good thing, though? It doesn't just disappear from the area, it just becomes invisible faster. Besides, something about inhaling glycol vapors reminds me of anti-freeze. Terrible idea.

Second, especially in light of the CNN article suggesting they aren't delivering the same amount of nicotine as a cigarette, is whether the people using them are sufficiently able to convince themselves that they feel enough like holding a cigarette to help them break their habit. There are plenty of ex-smokers who will report that a hard thing to give up was having something to hold in their hand or put in their mouth even after they're weaned from the nicotine.

I think all this does is drag out the habit and addiction. I'm in the "Easy Quit Method" school of thought (it's a book by Allen Car). No substitutions, no weening, no loose associations hanging around to keep you in your comfort zone. You have to step out, be adventurous, and change your habits, essentially changing a part of who you are.

As far as I'm concerned, E-cigarettes are just another addictive product on the market.

I had some friends who switched to the E-cigarettes, and then eventually switched back to normal cigarettes because they weren't satisfying their craving for nicotine, or something like that. Maybe that was just an excuse for being too lazy to recharge the battery, or whatever you have to do with these things.

I don't see how anyone could smoke anyway. If you want to quit, then do it cold turkey. Sure, it's not pleasant, but that's life. If you want to get anything done, you have to endure some unpleasant moments.

leroyjenkens said:
If you want to quit, then do it cold turkey. Sure, it's not pleasant, but that's life. If you want to get anything done, you have to endure some unpleasant moments.
That's how I did it after 30 years. The funny thing is, after I made up my mind, it was easy.

As a reformed smoker, I can definitely relate to the 'what to do with your hands?' thing. Giving up the ritual of smoking was more stressful than the nicotine fix

so many smokers..

I'm two years smoke free now!

congratulations!

Pythagorean said:
I'm two years smoke free now!
Just because it's been two years, you're still not truly free. It would only take one cigarette for me to get hooked again and it's been >10 years since I stopped.

I feel truly free; I don't buy into that AA propaganda really. I don't even have the slightest of urges. I did smoke a cigar for new years and it was enjoyable, but it didn't make me want to smoke again.

dlgoff said:
Just because it's been two years, you're still not truly free. It would only take one cigarette for me to get hooked again and it's been >10 years since I stopped.

Some years back, I quit smoking. After about a year, I was still experiencing strong cravings. I could handle that, for any finite period, but forever? I doubted my ability to fight those urges for the rest of my life.

I asked a coworker, who had been cigarette-free for seven years, just when I could expect some relief. He told me, basically, never. He said that he missed smoking every day of his life.

So, and here is why I'll go to hell, if such a preposterous place exists. I pressed him. "Well, how do you do it? How do you stay strong, knowing that you'll always have to maintain your guard? I'm going on a year, and I know it's going to get the best of me eventually. How do you do it?"

I guess he wasn't terribly introspective, because he said, "Gosh, I don't know. I never really thought of it like that. When you put it that way, it seems impossible ..."

Two weeks later, he was a smoker again.

On the other hand, I have a friend who smoked for 20 years, and just quit, no problem. He didn't even gain weight, the sonovabitch. He smokes two or three cigarettes a year, on very special occasions, and doesn't miss them at all.

I think different people, are, well, different. E-cigs might not be for everyone, but I'm sure they help some.

Your mind is the biggest obstacle to giving up any addiction. Physical addiction only lasts about 72 hours, after that the battle is psychological. You have an incredible number of triggers to overcome - coffee, alcohol, conversation, stress, etc. Any former smoker will tell you the desire to smoke never entirely goes away.

Chronos said:
Your mind is the biggest obstacle to giving up any addiction. Physical addiction only lasts about 72 hours, after that the battle is psychological. You have an incredible number of triggers to overcome - coffee, alcohol, conversation, stress, etc. Any former smoker will tell you the desire to smoke never entirely goes away.

I think the biggest part I'd miss would be all the smoke deck gossip.

I've smoked for going on 14 or 15 years. I've never wanted to quit, something has to kill me. "You could live to a 100 by not doing all the things that'd make you want to live to 100"

I've tried ECigs, they work. I did it for about a month without feeling a need for a cig at all. My biggest complaint was battery life, and was ultimately the reason why I stopped; however, I've seen that they have flashlight style batteries now, so maybe that part of the ecig would be better. Actually, now that I think about it, when I switched back to normal cigarettes I didn’t like the taste and burning for the first few, so maybe I even liked them better.

I would also like to see them regulated, or at least the liquid for impurities. I think they could be great for curbing smoking in those who want to reduce their smoking habit.

I find it really sad that people just replace one addiction with another. People that say "oh, I quit smoking, now I'm vaping!". You're still smoking, maybe something a bit less harmful, but you still have no will power to stop. Just admit that you can't stop, *that* I understand. My mom quit a 3 pack a day smoking habit cold turkey and never smoked again. I really admire her will power. I have the greatest respect for people that can stop putting these things into their mouth, I can't imagine how difficult it must be.

Last edited:
Cold Turkey was the only way that worked for me. I tried substitution with patches and gum the first couple attempts and it just dragged out the feeling of loss.

Pythagorean said:
Cold Turkey was the only way that worked for me. I tried substitution with patches and gum the first couple attempts and it just dragged out the feeling of loss.
Congratulations! I know it takes a lot of will power to do what you did.

I quit (cold turkey) then started almost 10 years later after a night out with friends who smoke and a stressful time at work. I think I'll never have the non-smokers mindset, the habit is too deeply ingrained.

One of the biggest issues with the e-cigarettes is the users smoking them indoors. Some are ok to smoke inside however anything containing nicotine is illegal to smoke indoors in public places in the UK. It got out of hand in our workplace and posters have now been put up prohibiting any use. Most of the staff who had started using these e-cigarettes have now gone back to regular ones. One girl told me that "if you are going to be made to go out in the cold and wet you may as well have the real thing".

some legends say that e cigs are more detrimental than regular ones.

lendav_rott said:
some legends say that e cigs are more detrimental than regular ones.

Legends? Experts?

Chronos said:

Most of what you said is true but I disagree with part of it. As a former pack a day smoker for three decades, including daily inhaled cigars for the last several years, I went cold turkey. My lungs seemed to boil, it felt like something was crawling around in there, for I don't remember how long, but it was longer than three days.
I can now tolerate smoke, I don't like it but I can tolerate it. I avoid it as much as I can, not because I fear being re-addicted but rather because it's unpleasant to say the least, and not good for my health.
I did not and do not miss holding cigarettes or putting things in my mouth. So everyone has a different set of problems to deal with in regard to quitting and I'm lucky I never had to deal with that.
The part I disagree with is that I'm a former addicted smoker and I have absolutely no desire to smoke. None whatsoever. So I think that part of your statement should be revised.

I still have urges, even after 10 years without a cig. I view it as a choice. I choose not to smoke. The urge is merely a nuisance. It lessens over time, but, is never entirely conquered - IMO.

Please help me out, here, Chronos. I read your last statement and was saying to myself, "OK, that's him, I've had a different experience, no problem." But then I got to your "IMO" which, I guess in the, to me silly, world of texting, means "in my opinion" and that tells me that you think I'm either not the telling the truth or that I really am insensitive to what my body is trying to tell me. And that must apply to Pythagorean too because, as he said, he doesn't feel the urge anymore either. So which is it? Are we wrong about ourselves or are you just projecting your experience onto other people and calling it "universal" as in "any former smoker", despite evidence that indicates otherwise? Or did I just misunderstand you, in which case I apologize in advance. I'm just not certain what you're saying, so I'd appreciate some clarification. Thanks.

Quitting isn't easy, we all agree on that. I think we all have rather different experiences with it, and I'm sorry that you still feel urges. I swear, I don't. Apparently Pythagorean doesn't either. I can point to several friends of mine who used to smoke, some quite heavily, and they don't experience any desire to start up again, there's no longing in them. How do I know? We've talked about it. So I think for some people it is possible to quit smoking and, years down the road, have no urge or desire at all to go back to it. In fact, from my experience, that's true for most people who successfully quit.

Your mind is your biggest enemy. It's a matter of foregoing immediate gratification for a long term goal.

MBob said:
So which is it? Are we wrong about ourselves or are you just projecting your experience onto other people and calling it "universal" as in "any former smoker", despite evidence that indicates otherwise?

I think you are reading too much into the "IMO". Outside of the general discussion forums on PF, the plural of "personal anecdote" is not "data". If you want to assert something that is not widely known (e.g. something not included in standard textbooks on the topic) is "true", you need to back up your assertion with a reference to an acceptable source, such as a paper published in a peer reviewed journal.

The general discussion forums are not so strict about that, but people who have been PF members for a long time often get into the habit of labeling their personal opinions as such with "IMO". It doesn't mean they think their personal opinion carries more weight than anybody else's.