Accuracy of the exploding asteroids in The Empire Strikes Back movie

In summary, the conversation discusses a scene of a star destroyer firing on an asteroid and the scientific accuracy of the resulting explosion. It is believed that the asteroid, which is 40 meters in diameter and made of nickel-iron, was vaporized in less than a third of a second. Some doubt the accuracy of the gas dispersion in the film, but it is stated that worrying about the scientific accuracy misses the point as the scene is fiction. The conversation then goes off into discussing other science fiction concepts and joking about their existence. The conversation concludes by discussing how explosions in space differ from those in an atmosphere.

Is this explosion accurate?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
marsh8472
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2489/asteroidtiming.jpg

Here is a scene of a star destroyer firing on an asteroid. The entire explosion takes about 10 frames of video -- less than a third of a second. It's widely believed that the asteroid in question is about 40 meters in diameter and made of nickel-iron. It's also widely believed that this asteroid was vaporized. I'm curious about the scientific accuracy of the explosion. Do you think the asteroid was really vaporized? If so, would the vapor disperse in less than a third of a second like this? I've heard the opinion of one person who claims to be a physics expert and says the gas dispersion is accurate but I have serious doubts about that myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one has any comment? :-o

First, it may take more than 76 minutes for someone to answer your question, especially as it is in the middle of the night in North America.

Second, it's fiction. There are no star destroyers, there is no Yoda, there is no Darth Vader and there is no force. Worrying about whether 0.33s of the movie is scientifically accurate misses the whole point.

Vanadium 50 said:
There are no star destroyers, there is no Yoda, there is no Darth Vader and there is no force.

Nooooooooooo! That's nonsense! I mean, it cannot be true, can it?

What's next, you going to tell me Santa Claus does not exist either?

* force chokes Vanadium *

you have to find out what that green stuff is first :D

In Star Trek, it would be a strongly ionized bundle of theta radiation emitted from the plasma chambers of the warp drive.

In Star Wars, it sort of looks like an inversely polarized antimatter beam.

(Do you think I could write an SF series?)

CompuChip said:
What's next, you going to tell me Santa Claus does not exist either?

Of course Santa Claus exists. I find your lack of faith...disturbing.

All seriousness aside, explosions in space are quite unlike explosions in an atmosphere. There's no fireball, and it doesn't mushroom the way that does.

If you've ever seen a pic of the lunar excursion module blasting off from the Moon's surface for its trip home you can see that it just looks like a bucnh of scintillating particles flying off in straight lines. There's no air back pressue to stop it.

What is the scientific accuracy of the exploding asteroids in The Empire Strikes Back movie?

The scientific accuracy of the exploding asteroids in The Empire Strikes Back movie is not very high. While the concept of asteroids exploding in space is scientifically plausible, the way they are depicted in the movie does not accurately portray the physics of explosions in a vacuum.

Why do the asteroids in the movie explode?

The asteroids in the movie explode due to the impact of the Millennium Falcon's laser fire. However, in reality, asteroids do not explode when hit by laser fire. They may break apart or have chunks blown off, but there would not be a fiery explosion as shown in the movie.

Is it possible for asteroids to explode in space?

Yes, it is possible for asteroids to explode in space. However, this would only occur if the asteroid was made of volatile materials, such as frozen gases or liquids, that could vaporize and create an explosion upon impact or exposure to heat.

Do the asteroid explosions in the movie create sound?

No, the asteroid explosions in the movie would not create sound in space. Sound cannot travel through the vacuum of space, so any explosions would be completely silent.

How does the accuracy of the asteroid explosions affect the overall scientific accuracy of the movie?

The accuracy of the asteroid explosions may not significantly impact the overall scientific accuracy of the movie, as it is a work of fiction and may take creative liberties for the sake of storytelling. However, for those seeking scientific accuracy, the exploding asteroids may be a noticeable deviation from reality.