Alternative to "God Created the Integers" by Stephen Hawking

In summary, the conversation discusses alternative books to "God Created the Integers" by Stephen Hawking for learning about the history of mathematics. Some recommended books include "An Introduction to the History of Mathematics" by Howard Eves, "Journey Through Genius" by William Dunham, "The History of Mathematics" by David Burton, and "Men of Mathematics" by E.T. Bell. Other potential options mentioned are "Mathematical Thought From Ancient to Modern Times" by Morris Kline and "History Of Mathematics" by Katz.
FabianS
Alternative to "God Created the Integers" ~ Stephen Hawking

Hi! I was thinking about buying a decent book covering the history of mathematics (from a fairly technical point of view), and "God Created the Integers" by Stephen Hawking seemed to be the perfect book. However, after having read some reviews, turns out it's not all that great (there are a lot of typos, no index, some important mathematicians are left out, etc.).

I wanted to know if there were any other books which were similar to "God Created the Integers". The one's I've found are not as in depth (only 2-4 pages per mathematician, for example).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Jean Dieudonné has written some good books about the history of mathematics, resp. of some branches. Not all of them are available in English, but I can definitely recommend them.

"An Introduction to the History of Mathematics" by Howard Eves, "Journey Through Genius" by William Dunham, and "The History of Mathematics" by David Burton are all quite good.

Likes Demystifier
Hi Fabian:

I recommend Men of Mathematics by E.T. Bell (1937). It has biographies about mathematicians from Zeno to Poincare as well as a discription of their contributions.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes gmax137
Not to sure since I have not read or seen these books. But Morris Kline: Mathematical Thought From Ancient to Modern Times. Katz: History Of Mathematics.

I believe an instructor here on PF teaches a math history course based on Katz book.

1. What is the main argument of "Alternative to God Created the Integers" by Stephen Hawking?

The main argument of "Alternative to God Created the Integers" is that the universe does not need a creator or intelligent designer in order to exist and function. Hawking proposes that the laws of physics and mathematics are sufficient to explain the origin and structure of the universe.

2. What evidence does Hawking present in support of his argument?

Hawking presents various scientific theories and experiments, such as the Big Bang theory and the discovery of the Higgs boson, to support his argument. He also discusses the concept of a multiverse and the possibility of infinite universes with different physical laws.

3. Does Hawking's alternative to a creator align with current scientific understanding?

Yes, Hawking's alternative aligns with current scientific understanding and theories about the origin and structure of the universe. Many scientists and researchers in the fields of physics and cosmology also support the idea that the laws of physics are sufficient to explain the universe.

4. How does Hawking address the concept of morality and purpose without a creator?

Hawking argues that morality and purpose are human constructs, and do not require a supernatural being to exist. He suggests that we can find meaning and purpose within ourselves and through our relationships with others, rather than relying on a divine purpose.

5. What impact has "Alternative to God Created the Integers" had on the scientific community?

Hawking's book has sparked much debate and discussion within the scientific community, particularly among physicists and cosmologists. While some may disagree with his arguments, it has sparked new ideas and theories about the origins of the universe and our understanding of it.