Would you diaper your parents?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, families often diaper their adult loved ones due to lack of funds, love for their parents, and serious medical conditions. When faced with the need to change a senior, it can be a burdensome task that requires personal and economic considerations. It is important to have support and breaks as a caregiver. Some people are comfortable with the idea of moving their parents to a nursing home or assisted living facility if needed. Diapering a loved one, whether it be a spouse or a parent, is a reminder of our finite beings and the cycle of life. It may not be something we look forward to, but ultimately, we do what we have to do to take care of our loved ones.
Loren Booda
Face it: a lot of families - due to lack of funds, love for their folks, and serious medical conditions - do diaper their adult loved ones several times daily. What would you do when confronted with the need to change a senior, perhaps with the prospect of having to perform this task for many years? How long can we rich in the U.S. rely on Third World workers to care for these most humbling needs of the disabled and elderly, anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you diaper your parents?
If they were alive, yes. I will go you one better; would you administer a life-sustaining suppository to a parent, if the only way possibly to do so was by use of your tongue? Allow me to answer; yes I would, and I'd expect to joke with them about it later, haha. My example is about life and death, folks, and the life of someone who is hopefully very near and dear to you should, imho, be far and above any consideration to foolish social taboos. But, each to his own taste! :biggrin:

Face it: a lot of families - due to lack of funds, love for their folks, and serious medical conditions - do diaper their adult loved ones several times daily. What would you do when confronted with the need to change a senior, perhaps with the prospect of having to perform this task for many years?
The prospect of doing this for many years would certainly become quite burdensome (did Nancy Regan have to diaper her husband, btw?), there’s just no doubt about that. It involves both personal and economic decisions to be made so would have to be considered case by case.

How long can we rich in the U.S. rely on Third World workers to care for these most humbling needs of the disabled and elderly, anyway?
Dunno, but this seems like a different question entirely.

Basically, in life, you just do what you have to do. It's not a pleasant task and nobody looks forward to it, especially the parents who require it, but if it has to be done, you do it. Of course, it isn't something that someone could do every day, several times a day, without any breaks or relief or support. This is a big issue, getting support for caregivers. At some point, you need to be able to have another family member help out or hire a nurse or home health aide to just give you a vacation.

Fortunately for me, my parents know the burden this would put on their children, and are okay with the idea of moving to a nursing home or assisted living facility if they get to a point where they can't take care of themselves. It's good that we had this discussion long before the point when the actual decision needs to be made so everyone is comfortable with the choices.

I had to diaper my wife toward the end before she died. It wasn't by far the worst thing about her illness. We are all finite beings and I will probably have to be diapered someday in my turn; so will you.

I'd do that if it were a last resort. I'd more likely pay someone to do it if it was possible.

I think it's different thing doing such things like changing diapers for your parents than it is doing it for your wife or husband. I mean couples already share some form of intimacy because of this I don't think it will even be an issue for someone to do this for his husband/wife. But it no doubt is different when it comes to parents.

But then I don't know because when the time actually comes and your parents need to be diapered, you may actually not mind doing it, when you come to think that they had to do this to you when you were a baby too!

It's not just about diapering though. A baby is a reminder of life and positive things while a parent needing to be diapered would be a depressant. I'd definiately agree that it would be different with parents rather than your wife/husband.

1. Would diapering my parents be considered elder abuse?

No, diapering your parents would not be considered elder abuse as long as it is done with their consent and in a respectful manner. If your parents are unable to make decisions for themselves, it is important to consult with a medical professional and follow their recommendations.

2. Is it normal to feel uncomfortable about the idea of diapering my parents?

It is completely normal to feel uncomfortable about the idea of diapering your parents. It can be a sensitive and personal task, and it is important to communicate openly with your parents about their needs and your boundaries.

3. What are some resources for learning how to properly diaper my parents?

There are many resources available for learning how to properly diaper your parents. Consider reaching out to a healthcare professional, attending a caregiver support group, or researching online for step-by-step guides and tutorials.

4. How can I make diapering my parents more comfortable for them?

There are a few ways to make diapering your parents more comfortable for them. Some suggestions include using high-quality, soft and absorbent diapers, using gentle wipes or washcloths, and maintaining a calm and respectful attitude during the process.

5. How can I talk to my parents about needing to diaper them?

It can be difficult to talk to your parents about needing to diaper them, but it is important to have an open and honest conversation. Approach the topic with sensitivity and empathy, and try to involve your parents in the decision-making process as much as possible. You may also consider enlisting the help of a healthcare professional or a therapist to facilitate the conversation.