Electrical Engineering is Broad?

In summary, electrical engineering is a broad field with various job opportunities. While engineers may be employed for maintenance tasks, their main role is often to improve and create new products. Those working with signal processing and telecommunications may be involved in tasks such as extracting meaningful signals, improving signal transmission and detection, and implementing algorithms in hardware.
Jakk01
Hi all,
I've been looking through the forums trying to find out what exactly electrical engineers do but have had no luck.
I've read many people say that electrical engineering is a broad degree and there are a number of different types of jobs that they can do within the field (I'm not interest in the other options such as sales) and I was wondering if anyone could describe some of them to me.
What I do know is that electrical engineers are employed to maintain electrical systems such as those on airplanes, are a lot of jobs similar to this?
Are more engineers employed to improve/create new products?
I'm curious to know what electrical engineers who work with signal processing/telecommunications do in particular.
Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jakk01 said:
Hi all,
I've been looking through the forums trying to find out what exactly electrical engineers do but have had no luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_engineering might be a good starting point.

I've read many people say that electrical engineering is a broad degree and there are a number of different types of jobs that they can do within the field

This is definitely correct, and not hard to understand...because electronics and communications, form an integral part of almost everything around us.

What I do know is that electrical engineers are employed to maintain electrical systems such as those on airplanes, are a lot of jobs similar to this?

While maintenance is a task that engineers undoubtedly must deal with at times, this not part of a routine job for which they are hired. There are Aircraft Maintenance Engineers for instance, who will usually work on maintenance related issues.

Are more engineers employed to improve/create new products?

Sure, all the time. Look at Intel, nVidia, Apple, Google, Texas Instruments, ...

I'm curious to know what electrical engineers who work with signal processing/telecommunications do in particular.

This depends on whether they are working in industry or academia, and in each case, on the specific problem. Signal processing could involve extracting meaningful signals from noisy measurements in real time, or searching for some specific information in them. It could also involve work on more efficient signal transmission and detection schemes (usually part of communications), improving the quality of images and video (e.g. deblurring images), noise removal, etc. On the hardware side, they could collaborate with embedded system engineers to implement fast, robust algorithms in hardware, or work on algorithms for digital signal processing. These are just some representative examples, and anyone working in signal processing will typically deal with one or more of the topics/issues listed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_processing" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the scope of electrical engineering?

The scope of electrical engineering is very broad and encompasses a wide range of topics, including power generation and distribution, electronics, telecommunications, computer systems, and control systems. It also involves the design, development, testing, and maintenance of electrical systems and devices.

2. What are the career opportunities for electrical engineers?

Electrical engineering offers a diverse range of career opportunities in various industries, such as energy, telecommunications, manufacturing, aerospace, and healthcare. Some common job roles for electrical engineers include power systems engineer, electronics engineer, control systems engineer, and telecommunications engineer.

3. How does electrical engineering contribute to our daily lives?

Electrical engineering plays a crucial role in our daily lives by providing the technology and infrastructure that we rely on. It is involved in the development of devices and systems that power our homes, transport us, and enable communication and entertainment. It also contributes to advancements in healthcare, renewable energy, and other areas that improve our quality of life.

4. What skills are needed to become an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, you will need a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science. You should also have excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Good communication and project management skills are also important for success in this field.

5. How is electrical engineering related to other engineering disciplines?

Electrical engineering is closely related to other engineering disciplines, such as mechanical engineering, computer engineering, and civil engineering. It often overlaps with these disciplines in the design and development of complex systems, such as robotics or smart buildings. Electrical engineering also relies on principles from physics, mathematics, and other sciences.