Solve system of nonlinear equation

In summary, the system is:(a-b)y^2-exy^2-2fx=-c2fx^2-2cx-2fy^2=-dThe Attempt at a Solutionany suggestion and help would be appreciated.That looks rather messy, especially for general coefficients like that. I think what I would try would be to solve one of the equations, the first, say, since it is linear in x, for x as a function of y, then put that value back into the second equation:(\epsilon y^2+ 2f)x= (a- b)y^2+ cx= \frac{
abotaha
Hello guys,

I am not good in advance mathematics.
I have system of nonlinear equation and I want to solve it analytically, but I face some difficulties.

Homework Statement

The system is :

[tex](a-b)y^2-exy^2-2fx=-c[/tex]
[tex]2fx^2-2cx-2fy^2=-d[/tex]

Homework Equations

where: [tex]a,b,c,d,e,[/tex]and [tex]f[/tex] are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

any suggestion and help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks rather messy, especially for general coefficients like that. I think what I would try would be to solve one of the equations, the first, say, since it is linear in x, for x as a function of y, then put that value back into the second equation:
[tex](\epsilon y^2+ 2f)x= (a- b)y^2+ c[/tex]
[tex]x= \frac{(a-b)y^2+ c}{y^2+ 2f}[/tex]

Replacing x by that in the second equation will result, eventually, in a sixth degree equation for y. There are no general methods of solving such an equation.

When you can't (practially) solve it, then aren't you just curious what the answer might be? A CAS is such a wonderful tool in mathematics I believe and extends one's "reach" significantly in my opinion. Now you said you needed an "analytic" solution to it right? And since that can't be done "exactly", why not just try to solve it in Mathematica?

You could do:

Code:
Clear[a, b, c, d, e, f, x, y]
mysol = Solve[{(a - b) y^2 - e x y^2 - 2 f x == -c, 
   2 f x^2 - 2 c x - 2 f y^2 == -d}, {x, y}]

Surprisingly, Mathematica returns a "solution expression" in mysol. It's the six solutions indicated by Hallsofivy above and is too large for Mathemtica to display on the screen conveniently. In some ways, the expression returned by Mathematica can be considered the "analytic" solution although I assume it contains "root" objects which are then numerically computed when an explicit result is desired. Just for a test, I tried back-substituting the first solution into the left side of the first equation with some simple values for the constants. The result is the expected negative of the value of c which is -4.

Code:
In[19]:= 
N[(a - b) y^2 - e x y^2 - 2 f x //. {a -> 1, b -> 2, e -> 3, c -> 4, 
   d -> 5, e -> 6, f -> 7, mysol[[1, 1]], mysol[[1, 2]]}]

Out[19]= -4.

Now, if you wanted to study this further, you could then study the particular format Mathematica is using to represent the solutions.

Work like this offers quite a unique and new perspective into Mathematics education which is beneficial to the student's success in the field in my opinion. They should do it regularly.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I also tried to simplify the system such as:
[tex] (a-b)(2fx^2 - 2cx + d) - ex(2fx^2 - 2cx + d) - 4f^2x = -2fc[/tex]

I searched for the cubic formula http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_formula#General_formula_of_roots". I found that there are some restriction (limitation or may say conditions) that gives different solution which I really did not understand it.
could you explain to me little bit please or any suggestion about solution using cubic formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since y only appears as y2, you could change variables to u=y2, which leaves you with equations for two conic sections. Perhaps that might help you understand what the solutions are.

1. What is a system of nonlinear equations?

A system of nonlinear equations is a set of equations where the unknown variables are raised to powers greater than one or are multiplied together. This type of system is more complex than linear equations, which only involve variables raised to the first power.

2. How do you solve a system of nonlinear equations?

There is no one set method for solving a system of nonlinear equations, as it will depend on the specific equations given. However, some common techniques include substitution, elimination, and graphing. It may also be necessary to use numerical methods, such as iteration or approximation, to find an approximate solution.

3. Can a system of nonlinear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of nonlinear equations can have multiple solutions. This is because nonlinear equations can have multiple intersections on a graph, resulting in multiple solutions.

4. What makes solving a system of nonlinear equations more challenging than linear equations?

Nonlinear equations are more challenging to solve because they often involve more complex mathematical operations, such as multiplication and division, and may require the use of advanced techniques such as iteration. Additionally, they can have multiple solutions or no solutions at all, making it harder to find the correct solution.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving systems of nonlinear equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for solving systems of nonlinear equations. Some examples include modeling population growth, predicting stock market trends, and solving optimization problems in engineering and economics.