Public relations to math and statistics.

In summary, to pursue a career in statistics, you will need to take several math courses, including calculus and linear algebra, before you can begin graduate level statistics courses. Starting at a community college is a good option for someone making a career change. Actuarial Science may also be a viable career option to consider.
jordanjohnson
I mentioned in a thread on here almost a year ago now that I was considering making a change into math, after entertaining several other options and figuring out that I really enjoy math, and especially probabilty, I have decided to to move toward getting either another bachelor or a masters in statistics. The problem is despite my reading on my own about math, I have never taken anything formal beyond pre-calculus (I was an enormous slacker in high school, and had some other issues). I am confident that if I was placed in a calculus class I would be fine because I have picked it up fairly well with the help of a friend, and self study. That said where do I even begin with a completely unrelated degree, and hardly enough math to even work toward a bachelors? I mean can I test out of lower level math classes (by lower level, I mean necessary high school math). Could I go to a community college and work up? My goal is not to get into extremely heavy math like one who was getting their Phd would work on, but rather to have a job in stats for government or a private company. I assume this would have me taking multivariables, linear algebra, and up through calc 3, right? Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert, but to get a job with the title of "statistician" you will need quite a few more math classes than the ones you mentioned. Calculus-based statistics courses are the first big step.

Starting at a community college is a great idea. Perfect for someone like you, who is looking to make a career change.

Have you looked into Actuarial Science?

jordanjohnson said:
I assume this would have me taking multivariables, linear algebra, and up through calc 3, right? Thanks so much!

Those are the pre-requisites for the courses you would need to take to earn a Master's degree in statistics. Here are the http://www.cefns.nau.edu/Academic/Math/degreePrograms/documents/MS_Stat_CompExam.pdf" from the school where I did my Bachelor's degree.

Regression analysis only requires calculus and a prior statistics course as pre-requisites, but when you move on to Mathematical Statistics I and II, you will need some coursework in set theory and analysis first. Linear algebra is not listed, but you will need that too. You will end up needing about 18-21 credit hours in math before you can get started on graduate level statistics.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand the importance of math and statistics in all areas of research and data analysis. Public relations to math and statistics is crucial in helping the public understand the importance and relevance of these subjects in our everyday lives.

It is great to hear that you have found a passion for math and statistics and are considering pursuing a degree in this field. While it may seem daunting to start from pre-calculus, I believe that with determination and hard work, you can achieve your goal of getting a bachelor's or master's in statistics.

One option you could explore is testing out of lower level math classes. Many universities and colleges offer placement exams that allow students to demonstrate their proficiency in certain subjects and potentially earn credit for those courses. You could also consider taking online courses or enrolling in a community college to brush up on your math skills before transferring to a four-year university.

In terms of the necessary courses for a statistics degree, it would depend on the specific program and university you choose. However, it is likely that you will need to take courses in multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and up through calculus 3, as you mentioned. It may also be beneficial to take courses in probability and statistics to further enhance your understanding of these subjects.

Ultimately, the key is to start somewhere and be willing to put in the effort to catch up on the necessary math courses. With persistence and dedication, I am confident that you can achieve your goal of working in statistics for a government or private company. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What is the relationship between public relations and math?

The relationship between public relations and math is that math plays a crucial role in analyzing and interpreting data related to public relations efforts. Math is used to measure the effectiveness of PR campaigns, track audience engagement, and calculate return on investment (ROI) for PR activities.

2. How are statistics used in public relations?

Statistics are used in public relations to provide evidence and support for PR strategies and tactics. They are used to measure the success of PR campaigns, track media coverage, and gather insights about target audiences. Statistics can also be used to identify trends and patterns in data, which can inform future PR efforts.

3. Can math and statistics help with crisis communication?

Yes, math and statistics can help with crisis communication by providing data-driven insights and analysis. In a crisis situation, PR professionals can use math and statistics to track the spread of information, monitor public sentiment, and measure the impact of crisis response strategies.

4. How do public relations professionals use data visualization?

Public relations professionals use data visualization to present complex data in a visually appealing and easy-to-understand format. This can include charts, graphs, and infographics that help to communicate key insights and findings from data analysis.

5. How does data analysis impact public relations decision-making?

Data analysis has a significant impact on public relations decision-making. It allows PR professionals to evaluate the success of past campaigns, identify areas for improvement, and make data-driven decisions about future strategies. Data analysis can also help PR professionals to better understand their target audience and tailor their messaging and tactics accordingly.