What are the forces acting on a jet engine when encountering turbulence?

In summary, the force on each of the three bolts fastening the 1600kg jet engine to the fuselage of a passenger jet is equal to one-third of the total force acting on the engine, which is the sum of the force of gravity and the force of turbulence. In this case, the force on each bolt is 3733 N. However, this answer may be incorrect if the total force causing the upward acceleration is greater than the force of gravity on the engine.
josh28

Homework Statement

A 1600kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load.
(b) During flight, the plane encounters turbulence, which suddenly imparts an upward vertical acceleration of 2.8 m/s2 to the plane. Calculate the force on each bolt now.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The force acting on the engine is the sum of all forces acting on the engine because of Newton's second law. So first I found the force of gravity on the engine
F=ma
F=1600(9.8)
F=15,680 N

then I found the force the turbulence had on the engine

F=1600(-2.8)
F= -4480 N

Then the sum of these forces is -4480 + 15,680 = 11,200
Then I divided this by 3, for the force on each bolt and got 3,733 N.

But when I typed this answer in it was not correct and I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
josh28 said:

Homework Statement

A 1600kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load.
(b) During flight, the plane encounters turbulence, which suddenly imparts an upward vertical acceleration of 2.8 m/s2 to the plane. Calculate the force on each bolt now.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The force acting on the engine is the sum of all forces acting on the engine because of Newton's second law. So first I found the force of gravity on the engine
F=ma
F=1600(9.8)
F=15,680 N

then I found the force the turbulence had on the engine

F=1600(-2.8)
F= -4480 N

Then the sum of these forces is -4480 + 15,680 = 11,200
Then I divided this by 3, for the force on each bolt and got 3,733 N.

But when I typed this answer in it was not correct and I do not know what I am doing wrong.
Is the total force on the engine that causes the upward acceleration greater than or less than the force of gravity on the engine?

How about just prior to the upward acceleration - the plane traveling at constant altitude. What is the upward force on the engine (provided by the bolts) equal to?

AM

What are the forces acting on a jet engine?

The main forces acting on a jet engine are thrust, drag, weight, and lift. Thrust is the force that propels the jet engine forward, drag is the resistance force that acts in the opposite direction, weight is the force of gravity pulling the engine down, and lift is the force that counteracts weight and keeps the engine in the air.

How does thrust affect a jet engine?

Thrust is the force that propels the jet engine forward. It is created by the exhaust gases exiting the back of the engine at a high velocity. The greater the thrust, the faster the jet engine can propel the aircraft forward.

What is drag and how does it impact a jet engine?

Drag is the force that resists the motion of a jet engine through the air. It is caused by the friction between the engine and the surrounding air, as well as the air resistance created by the shape of the engine. Drag can decrease the efficiency of a jet engine and increase fuel consumption.

What is the role of weight in a jet engine?

Weight is the force of gravity pulling the jet engine downwards. It is counteracted by lift, which is generated by the shape of the wings and the airflow over them. In order for a jet engine to stay in the air, the lift force must be greater than the weight force.

How does lift contribute to the flight of a jet engine?

Lift is the force that counteracts the weight of a jet engine and keeps it in the air. It is generated by the shape of the wings and the airflow over them. The faster the air moves over the wings, the greater the lift force. This is why a jet engine needs to maintain a certain speed in order to stay in the air.