Is Life From Non-Life Mathematically Impossible?

In summary, the conversation centers around a website that claims it is mathematically impossible for life to arise from non-life through random chance, and that this supports the existence of a higher power. The speaker is seeking a scientific or mathematical critique of this argument and acknowledges that it may not be possible to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power using probabilities. They are interested in understanding if the premise of the argument is sound and if it can be improved upon. The conversation also includes a note about the incorrect use of the term "evolution" in the website and provides resources for further information on the topic.
ikos9lives
I'd like a mathematical and/or scientific critique of the assertions made at the following website: EDIT: link to crackpot post deleted

Note there are some comments on the side that are directed towards a mathematical critique of the poster's assertions. These critiques appear to be valid, but I think the underlying premise in the post has something to it.

The underlying argument posed at the site is that it is, essentially, mathematically impossible (or at least so improbable as to be impossible) for life to have arisen on its own using pure random chance. The poster appears to believe that this means that life could not evolve from non-life without the intercession of a greater power (i.e., God).

What I'm thinking of is recasting the argument in a more mathematically or scientifically correct way - if that's possible. It may not be possible, given lack of understanding of how amino acids could combined and eventually form cells exhibiting industrial complexity. Nevertheless, it stands to reason that while 4 billion years is a long time, the number is still quite finite and may be too small to support random chance.

I suspect the counter argument may be that industrial complexity builds on itself as time goes on. However, I'm not sure how much that will hold water scientifically speaking; after all, you have to achieve some measure of industrial complexity in the first place.

I know the basic argument of life from non-life, but to my knowledge the argument has never been positivistically proven; and thus is subject to skepticism in the scientific realm.

To you atheists out there - I'm not interested in proving or disproving God using an argument of probabilities. While I admit that eventually I would like to use this type of argument as merely one argument in a range of arguments that, as a whole, point to God's existence, I first need to know if the underlying premise is sound before engaging in any kind of metaphysics. For, if the physics or math is wrong, then any rationale supporting metaphysical conclusions based on it (either for or against God's existence) must also be flawed (i.e., the premise is flawed and thus not helpful to the conclusion).

Same thing to my fellow brothers in Christ: This is no challenge against God or proof for Him, I merely want to inquire if the premise is sound or weak - and if it is weak whether it can be improved so that it is sound.

Accordingly, again, what I really want is a purely scientific or mathematical analysis of the argument posed in the website. From there I might springboard into another, separate, thread discussing metaphysical speculation.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

What is a "Request for Scientific Review"?

A "Request for Scientific Review" is a formal process in which a researcher or organization asks for an evaluation of their scientific work or proposal. This is typically done by submitting a written request to a panel of experts in the relevant field.

Why would someone submit a "Request for Scientific Review"?

There are several reasons why someone may submit a "Request for Scientific Review." These can include seeking feedback on a research proposal, looking for ways to improve a study, or wanting validation of the findings.

Who can submit a "Request for Scientific Review"?

Anyone can submit a "Request for Scientific Review," as long as they have a valid and well-defined research question or project. This can include individual researchers, teams, or organizations.

What is the process for a "Request for Scientific Review"?

The process for a "Request for Scientific Review" typically involves submitting a written request to a panel of experts in the relevant field. The panel will then review the request and provide feedback, recommendations, or approval. The specific steps may vary depending on the organization or institution receiving the request.

How long does a "Request for Scientific Review" typically take?

The timeline for a "Request for Scientific Review" can vary, but it typically takes several weeks to several months. This timeline can depend on factors such as the complexity of the research, the availability of the panel members, and the specific requirements of the organization or institution receiving the request.