What are the best skills to self-learn as a third year physics major?

• Thread starter flemmyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in self-learning skills that can be applied to physics or other fields. They mention programming, particularly in languages such as C/C++, MATLAB, and SQL, as well as improving writing skills. They also suggest learning basic Linux skills and LaTeX. The conversation emphasizes the importance of programming and computer skills for graduate students in physics and suggests starting with a language like Perl or Python to understand the fundamentals before moving on to other languages.
flemmyd
I'm a third year phys major, unknown specialty.

I'm just asking what are some good skills to self-learn, as opposed to spending time learning in a class. Something where it's not difficult to learn just by doing problems, as opposed to having a real benefit to talk to other people. So I probably couldn't just do quantum mechanics problems and learn quantum. I really feel like that kind of subject would help having someone to talk with me about it.

Also, I'm looking for something that's more a free time/erratic rather then something I would sit down every week. I want to make sure I have time to take care of my essential coursework (e&m sounds like its going to be difficult...)

I was thinking programming (c/c++ or matlab/mathematica). particularlly numerical analysis of DEs using MATLAB (I have a background in doing ODEs and PDEs analytically...) and SQL. part of the reason I've been leaning towards computer-based topics is because it allows me play with the code/algorithms and can see how everything works without having to worry about getting expensive lab equipment (ie. hit compile and get a sandwich) but I am curious as to what other people have in input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look to improve your writing skills. It will help you in any field you wind up going into after undergrad.

Basic programming is pretty much an essential skill for any graduate student in physics. I'm always surprised how many students don't know any programming when entering grad school and have to learn it the first time a professor assigns a programming problem. Also, it would be useful to learn some basic Linux skills, along with LaTeX.

If I were you, I'd start with a language like Perl or Python to figure out how programming works. MatLab isn't quite the same. You can always pick up another language after you learn how the computer thinks.

What are the best skills to self-learn?

The best skills to self-learn depend on your individual interests and goals. However, some popular skills to self-learn include coding, a new language, graphic design, public speaking, and data analysis.

How do I choose which skill to self-learn?

To choose which skill to self-learn, consider your interests, career goals, and the demand for that skill in the job market. You can also try out different skills through online courses or tutorials to see which one you enjoy and excel at the most.

What are the benefits of self-learning?

Self-learning allows you to learn at your own pace and tailor your learning experience to fit your needs. It also fosters self-discipline, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, self-learning can save you time and money compared to traditional education methods.

How can I effectively self-learn a new skill?

To effectively self-learn a new skill, set specific and achievable goals, break down the learning material into manageable chunks, and practice consistently. It can also be helpful to find a mentor or join online communities to ask questions and receive feedback.

Are there any resources available to help with self-learning?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with self-learning, such as online courses, tutorials, books, and educational websites. You can also find communities and forums dedicated to specific skills where you can learn from others and ask for advice.