How Much Energy Does a 3.5 mW He-Ne Laser Beam Carry Over 1 Meter?

In summary, To determine the amount of energy carried in 1 m of a 3.5 mW He-Ne laser beam, you can use the equation J/s = Watt. By converting the mW to W, you will get a value of 0.0035 W. To find the intensity, you can divide this value by the cross-sectional area of the beam, which is given as 5x10^-6 m^2. However, it is unclear where intensity comes into this problem and what role the other 1 m plays. To better understand the problem, you may need to consider the relationship between energy, power, and time, as well as the time it takes light to travel 1 meter. Additionally
sgoeke

Homework Statement

Determine the amount of energy carried in 1 m of a 3.5 mW He-Ne laser beam if the cross-sectional area of the beam is 5x10^-6 m^2.

Homework Equations

J/s = Watt

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the mW to W. I feel like I should put .0035W over 5x10^-6 m^2 to get intensity. But I don't know where intensity comes into this problem or where the other 1 m comes in.

Physics news on Phys.org
sgoeke said:

Homework Statement

Determine the amount of energy carried in 1 m of a 3.5 mW He-Ne laser beam if the cross-sectional area of the beam is 5x10^-6 m^2.

Homework Equations

J/s = Watt

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the mW to W. I feel like I should put .0035W over 5x10^-6 m^2 to get intensity. But I don't know where intensity comes into this problem or where the other 1 m comes in.

What is energy in terms of power and time? How long does it take light to travel 1 meter?

And remember that sometimes in problems, you may not need everything that you are given...

1. What is a laser beam?

A laser beam is a concentrated and focused beam of light that is created through the process of stimulated emission. It is typically a coherent and monochromatic light source, meaning that it consists of a single color and its waves are aligned in a specific direction.

2. How is energy produced from a laser beam?

Energy from a laser beam is produced when the beam comes into contact with a material, causing its atoms and molecules to vibrate and generate heat. This heat energy can then be converted into other forms of energy, such as electricity, through various mechanisms.

3. What are the potential applications of energy from a laser beam?

Energy from a laser beam has a wide range of potential applications. It can be used for cutting and welding in industries, as a power source for spacecraft, as a tool in scientific experiments, and in medical procedures such as laser eye surgery.

4. How efficient is energy production from a laser beam?

The efficiency of energy production from a laser beam depends on various factors, such as the type of laser, the material it comes into contact with, and the conversion mechanism used. However, compared to other energy sources, laser beams can be highly efficient, with some systems achieving up to 70% conversion efficiency.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with using energy from a laser beam?

As with any form of energy, there are potential risks associated with using energy from a laser beam. These include the potential for eye damage if exposed to the beam directly, and the risk of fire or explosion if the beam is not properly controlled. It is important to follow safety guidelines and have proper training when working with laser beams.