Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building an electron accelerator grid in vacuum. The grid would be used to accelerate or decelerate electrons and would need to be electrically charged at +500V or -500V with a switching frequency of 10 MHz. The proposed solution involves using two MOSFET transistors connected to a driver, but there are concerns about the slew-rate and the necessary voltage for proper functioning. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a thyratron tube or a high powered radio amplifier as alternatives.
Shockblast
Hello. I want to build an electron accelerator grid in vacuum. The grid, which has the purpose of accelerating or decelerating electrons produced by a nearby filament has to be electrically charged at +500V or -500V. The switching frequency between the voltages +500V to -500V has to be approximately 10 MHz.

I have developed an idea of doing this by using two MOSFET transistors linked together (one is pMOS and the other one nMOS). The gates of the two MOSFETs are linked to a driver which will command the switching.

The problem I have with this is that I do not think the MOSFETs will have an adequate slew-rate to operate the switching at a 10 MHz frequency. Another thing I do not yet know is what voltage must I have between the gate-source of the transistors in order to function properly?

If anyone has a better solution than the one I posted here (which is not a very good one, as you can see), please inform me! If you think my solution is good, but requires some polishing please tell me what improvements I need.

Thank you all very much, in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps a thyratron tube would work better in this case? I am guessing they are expensive however. You will need some serious power to switch 1kV at 10MHz. Minimizing capacitances will be critical. Now that I think about it, how about a surplus high powered radio amplifier?

What is an Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply?

An Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply is a device used in particle accelerators to provide the necessary electrical fields for accelerating or decelerating electrons. It is an essential component in the process of accelerating and controlling the movement of particles for scientific research and industrial applications.

How does an Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply work?

The grid supply uses high-voltage power sources to create electric fields that accelerate or decelerate the electrons within the particle accelerator. These fields are created by applying a voltage to a series of electrodes, or grids, which are arranged in a specific pattern to produce the desired acceleration or deceleration of the particles.

What are the key components of an Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply?

The key components of an Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply include a high-voltage power supply, a series of electrodes or grids, and a control system. The power supply provides the necessary energy to create the electric fields, and the electrodes or grids are responsible for shaping and controlling the fields. The control system regulates the voltage and current to maintain the desired acceleration or deceleration of the particles.

What are the applications of an Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply?

An Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply has a wide range of applications in scientific research and industrial processes. It is commonly used in particle accelerators for high-energy physics experiments, as well as in medical treatments such as cancer therapy. It is also utilized in industrial processes such as materials testing and sterilization.

What are the safety considerations when working with an Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply?

Due to the high voltages involved, safety is of utmost importance when working with an Electrical Electron Accelerator/Decelerator grid supply. Proper training and protective equipment should be used when operating the equipment. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections should be performed to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the device.