Contribution to the heat capacity of vibrational energy levels.

In summary, we are trying to calculate the contribution of nondegenerate vibrational energies to the molar heat capacity of carbon-dioxide gas at 400K. The relevant equations are Z=∑exp(-(h/2π)ω(r+1)/k_BT), F=-k_BTlnZ, and Cv=-T(d^2F/dT^2) keeping the volume constant. While these equations are typically used for diatomic molecules, they can also be used for polyatomic molecules such as carbon-dioxide. The key is to calculate Z explicitly, which involves a geometric series. From there, it is a matter of using mathematical techniques to calculate the heat capacity.
lxazy

Homework Statement

The carbon-dioxide has nondegenerate vibrational energies εr=(h/2π)ω(r+1);r=0,1,2..., where ω=(1.26*10^14)s^-1. What is the contribution of these vibrational modes to the molar heat capacity of carbon-dioxide gas at T=400K?

Homework Equations

Z=∑exp(-(h/2π)ω(r+1)/k_BT)

F=-k_BTlnZ

Cv=-T(d^2F/dT^2) keeping the volume constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I checked in some books, but did not find any relevant examples about this type of problems.

I found some formulas and process for solving this kind of question, but for diatomic molecules. Could someone please tell me whether these equations are the ones needed in this problem, if not, please let me know the correct equations and method. THANK YOU!

Z=∑exp(-(h/2π)ω(r+1)/k_BT)

F=-k_BTlnZ

Cv=-T(d^2F/dT^2) keeping the volume constant

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the energy (heat capacity) in a mole?

How many molecules in a mole? How much energy is in the lowest energy state of one molecule? Then the next? . . . .

Or who would one expect the energy to be partitioned at 400 K?

You should be able to calculate Z explicitly, it is a geometric series, right?

With the equations you've listed it's basically just mathe-magic from there, I think.

What is it you've found for diatomic molecules?

kloptok said:
You should be able to calculate Z explicitly, it is a geometric series, right?

With the equations you've listed it's basically just mathe-magic from there, I think.

What is it you've found for diatomic molecules?

Thanks for your reply! For diatomic molecules I would have used these steps and formulas to calculate the heat capacity. However, it was carbon-dioxide in this problem, which was a polyatomic molecule, and I did not find anything relevant from the statistical physics books. That is why I tried to seek for help on what procedure and formulas and techniques that should be used to solve this kind of problem.

Hello,

The equations you have listed are indeed relevant for solving this problem. The first equation, Z, is the partition function which takes into account the possible energy levels of the molecule. The second equation, F, is the Helmholtz free energy which is related to the partition function. And the third equation, Cv, is the heat capacity at constant volume.

To solve this problem, you will need to calculate the partition function, Z, for the given vibrational energies of carbon dioxide. This can be done by plugging in the values for εr, ω, and T into the first equation. Once you have the value for Z, you can use it to calculate the Helmholtz free energy, F, using the second equation. Finally, you can use the third equation to calculate the heat capacity, Cv, at the given temperature of 400K.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck!

1. What is the concept of heat capacity in relation to vibrational energy levels?

The heat capacity of a substance refers to its ability to store and transfer thermal energy. In the context of vibrational energy levels, it describes how much energy is required to increase the temperature of a substance by a certain amount.

2. How do vibrational energy levels contribute to heat capacity?

As a substance absorbs heat energy, its molecules begin to vibrate at different frequencies. These vibrations correspond to different energy levels and contribute to the overall heat capacity of the substance. The more vibrational energy levels a substance has, the higher its heat capacity will be.

3. What factors affect the contribution of vibrational energy levels to heat capacity?

The contribution of vibrational energy levels to heat capacity is influenced by several factors, including the type of substance, its molecular structure, and temperature. For example, substances with more complex molecular structures tend to have higher heat capacities due to the presence of more vibrational energy levels.

4. How does the study of vibrational energy levels contribute to our understanding of heat capacity?

By studying the vibrational energy levels of different substances, scientists can gain insight into their physical properties and behavior. This knowledge can then be used to improve our understanding of heat capacity and how it varies among different substances.

5. Can the contribution of vibrational energy levels to heat capacity be measured experimentally?

Yes, the contribution of vibrational energy levels to heat capacity can be measured through experimental techniques such as calorimetry. By carefully controlling the amount of heat added to a substance and measuring the resulting change in temperature, scientists can calculate the substance's heat capacity and its contribution from vibrational energy levels.