Need help formatting hard-drive

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
In summary, Kris is trying to reformat her Windows 7 laptop, but keep getting an error. Jarednjames tells her about a freeware utility called KillDisk that might work.
JG89
So I have a laptop with Windows 7 on it. I don't have the CD. I want to reformat it because it's running WAY too slow and it's just pretty messed up. So I made a Windows 7 system recovery disk and tried to boot the laptop from the dvd-rom drive but it would keep freezing at one point of being loaded.

So I put in my windows vista cd to try and format it with that cd instead, but after the CD loads it just gives me an error.

I tried booting it up regularly and right clicking on the c drive from "my computer" and clicking format, but it wouldn't do it because it said that drive was active or something.

I booted into safemode with command promt, and i typed in "format c:" and it would try, but then say it couldn't because the volume was in use, but it may be able to do it if it is dismounted, do I want to dismount it. I say yes, and it says failure to dismount.

How can I reformat the hard drive?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you don't have the cd for Windows 7 and you reformat the hard drive, how will you get Windows 7, programs, and data back onto the hard drive after you reformat it?

If you really want to reformat that hard drive and lose everything that's on it, there are freeware utilities that let you partition and reformat hard drives. This site has a collection of free ware utilities that you burn onto a cd-rom:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

I want to format it and put on my windows vista. Thanks for the info!

I don't know about your lap top, but it's common for some systems to have a hidden partition on the hard drive. If you reboot your lap top while holding down a key (usually one of the function keys F1 -> F12), it will boot up into recovery mode on that hidden partition. That hidden partition should have what you need to format the non-hidden partition and re-install Windows 7 and any applications that came with your lap top. If you just want to reformat the non-hidden partition, that should work also.

If you try one of those freeware partition utilities, and it shows a second partition on your hard drive, then I would recommend trying to boot into recovery mode, or to make sure you don't reformat any "hidden" partitions.

If you take your Windows Vista Installation CD and boot from the CD (switch the boot device using the BIOS), you will be able to format your drive and install Vista at the same time. Before you do this though, make sure you have all your motherboard and video drivers lined up to install after the format so you can access the internet, etc.

To access the BIOS, press delete or F2 during post, it should say which key to press to get into setup. From there change your boot device to your CD Drive and exit and save your changes. When you're done re-installing don't forget to change the boot device back to your HDD.

JG89 said:
I tried booting it up regularly and right clicking on the c drive from "my computer" and clicking format, but it wouldn't do it because it said that drive was active or something.

I booted into safemode with command promt, and i typed in "format c:" and it would try, but then say it couldn't because the volume was in use, but it may be able to do it if it is dismounted, do I want to dismount it. I say yes, and it says failure to dismount.

How can I reformat the hard drive?

How exactly did you think this would work?

You tried to wipe clean the hard drive that you are currently using.

You either need to remove it and use another computer to format it (in the way you describe above) or you need to do it whilst installing the OS.

@Kris...I've tried that. For some reason whenever I try to boot from the Vista disk it says error.

@ jarednjames, I didn't really think it would work, but I was pretty desperate to try anything :biggrin:

I've used KillDisk before, one of the freeware utilities suggested by rcgldr, and it seems as if it would work in this situation. I will give it a go tonight and post back to let you guys know how it went.

If your computer is running your windows installation, you can't format the drive windows is on.

You have to do one of the things I listed.

JG89 said:
@Kris...I've tried that. For some reason whenever I try to boot from the Vista disk it says error.

You might want to burn yourself a new disk.

Even if you don't have the original install DVDs (do they still even ship those with computers these days?) you can make yourself a copy of the Windows 7 Recovery DVDs, as per a thread here a few weeks back:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=472676

These is usually just your computer's core installation, and not any files you've created, or any programs you've installed. However, it'll restore it to brand-new condition (meaning you'll also probably have to uninstall all the junk your OEM put on)

EDIT: Oops! Looks like you tried that already! The install might take a while, does it verifiably hang (mouse & keyboard stop working), or does it just seem to stop? If the latter, have you tried just leaving it?

JG89 said:
You say that your Vista install DVD and your Win7 recovery DVD both give you an error. What error(s) exactly?

Why would you reformat your hard drive to downgrade your OS? The majority of all laptops have an OEM protected partition with Windows 7 on it, ready to install. My laptop has a nice little button that once pressed when the laptop is off, it let's me reformat and reinstall Windows 7 in a snap. And you should have a W7 license! Try booting into safe mode and copying down your license key in Computer/properties. W7 > Vista

Futurama said:
Why would you reformat your hard drive to downgrade your OS?
If you read the original post, you would realize that he's not reformatting his hard drive to put Windows Vista on it. He's reformatting his hard drive to clean up the extra, unused programs and files that he doesn't need anymore and are just taking up space and processes. I reformat my OS hard drive once every year; it keeps everything from getting too convoluted and I would recommend everyone to do the same.

The majority of all laptops have an OEM protected partition with Windows 7 on it, ready to install.
Do the majority have it or does your laptop have it, therefore everyone's has it?
I don't know of any OEM PC that has a partition just to house a Windows installation image.

W7 > Vista

Yes and I can say that Windows > Linux but a hell of a lot of people will disagree with me.

KrisOhn said:
I don't know of any OEM PC that has a partition just to house a Windows installation image.
Most of these are called recovery managers, or "restore to original factory condition" and are booted from a second hidden partition on a hard drive. On an HP system, you tap F10 or F11 during boot to cause the system to boot from the second hidden partition, in order to do a full system restoration back to the factory install of OS and software on the primary partition. On a Dell system, you usually press <ctrl> + F11.

rcgldr said:
Most of these are called recovery managers, or "restore to original factory condition" and are booted from a second hidden partition on a hard drive. On an HP system, you tap F10 or F11 during boot to cause the system to boot from the second hidden partition, in order to do a full system restoration back to the factory install of OS and software on the primary partition. On a Dell system, you usually press <ctrl> + F11.

Ahh, I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying.

JG89 said:
So I have a laptop with Windows 7 on it. I don't have the CD. I want to reformat it because it's running WAY too slow and it's just pretty messed up. So I made a Windows 7 system recovery disk and tried to boot the laptop from the dvd-rom drive but it would keep freezing at one point of being loaded.

Just to say... it is important to make the Win 7 sys recovery disk AND the image recovery DVD's soon after purchase of the new machine. BEFORE ANY POTENTIAL INFECTIONS/PROBLEMS.
I did the recovery disk immediatly(1 dvd), but afterwards spent a few hours installing needed software, updates, etc... and did the image restore DVD set(3 dvd's in my case)
Labled them with a magic marker. Good to go.

1. How do I format my hard drive?

To format your hard drive, you can use the built-in formatting tool in your computer's operating system. For Windows users, you can go to "My Computer", right-click on the hard drive you want to format, and select "Format". For Mac users, go to "Applications", then "Utilities", and open "Disk Utility". Select the hard drive you want to format and click on "Erase".

2. Will formatting my hard drive delete all of my data?

Yes, formatting a hard drive will erase all of the data stored on it. It is important to back up any important files before formatting your hard drive.

3. How long does it take to format a hard drive?

The time it takes to format a hard drive depends on the size and speed of the drive, as well as the computer's processing power. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

4. Can I format a hard drive without an operating system?

No, you need an operating system in order to format a hard drive. If you need to format a hard drive without an operating system, you can use a bootable USB or CD with a formatting tool.

5. Will formatting my hard drive fix any errors or issues?

Formatting a hard drive can fix some errors or issues, but it is not a guaranteed solution. It is always recommended to try other troubleshooting methods before resorting to formatting your hard drive.