Collapse of the wave-function of a single photon in the general sense

In summary: These are all based on the wave function for particles that have an associated wave function, which for photons is pretty much anything.
entropy1
non-locality and the collapse of the wave-function of a single photon

I'm a bit of a layman on english and on physics, so here it is.

My questions are about the collapse of the wave-function of a single photon in the general sense. I will mention where I mean to pose a question.

If we may consider a single photon-particle as a wave with corresponding wave-function... (may we? question 1)

...and if we consider the physical manifestation of the likely position of this particle in time as determined by this function as, ideally, a 'growing' sphere in diameter.. (may we? question 2)

...then may we consider the 'detection' of the particle as a collapse of the corresponding wave-function... (may we? question 3)

...thus prohibiting 'detection' of this particle on every place on the, now collapsing, sphere? (question 4)

Is this prohibition a so called 'non-local' effect? (question 5)

Is it possible to so 'instantly' transfer information of the 'detection' all over the sphere? (question 6)

I assumed that the meaning of 'detection', 'non-local' and 'instantly' were clear.
Questions 5 and 6 are the ones I'm really interrested in.

Thanks very much in advance! You will probably laugh about this one.
I really know nothing about this, but it troubles me...can't sleep.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

entropy1 said:
If we may consider a single photon-particle as a wave with corresponding wave-function... (may we? question 1)

No, because photons can NOT be described using a wavefunction (in the Schroedinger sense). There are all sorts of technical ways to try to get around this (mainly introducing other mathematical tools), but the fact remains that photons can not be described using wavefunctions in the same way as for example electrons.

Also, the wavefunction of a particle is not (neccesarily) "geometrical" in the sense that you describe.

f95toli said:
No, because photons can NOT be described using a wavefunction (in the Schroedinger sense). There are all sorts of technical ways to try to get around this (mainly introducing other mathematical tools), but the fact remains that photons can not be described using wavefunctions in the same way as for example electrons.
Thanks! I didn't know that! Could you tell me a littlebit about why photons can't be described by a wavefunction? And where can I find out more about that fact?

Last edited:
unusualname said:
A discussion of some of the problems:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0508202

Wow! Very nice resource, unusualname! Thanks! :smile:
(can probably spend some nice reading-hours with that)

Last edited:

f95toli said:

Also, the wavefunction of a particle is not (neccesarily) "geometrical" in the sense that you describe.

May I ask then what particles can be described using the wave function .e.e for a free particle, particle in a box, in a box with bump bottom and the harmonic oscillator?

Are these based on the electron?

Thanks

1. What is the "Collapse of the wave-function" of a single photon?

The "collapse of the wave-function" is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the sudden transition of a quantum system from a superposition of multiple states to a single state upon measurement. In the case of a single photon, it refers to the photon's wave-like behavior being reduced to a single position upon observation.

2. How does the collapse of the wave-function of a single photon occur?

The exact mechanism of how the collapse of the wave-function occurs is still a subject of debate in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that it is due to the interaction between the photon and the measuring apparatus, while others propose that it is a result of the observer's consciousness.

3. Can the collapse of the wave-function of a single photon be observed?

No, the collapse of the wave-function cannot be directly observed. It is a theoretical concept that is used to explain the behavior of quantum particles. However, the effects of the collapse can be observed through experiments and measurements.

4. Does the collapse of the wave-function only occur with single photons?

No, the collapse of the wave-function can occur with any quantum system, including particles such as electrons and atoms. However, it is most commonly discussed in relation to single photons due to their unique properties in quantum mechanics.

5. What are the implications of the collapse of the wave-function for our understanding of the universe?

The concept of the collapse of the wave-function challenges our classical understanding of reality, as it suggests that the behavior of particles is not deterministic but probabilistic. It also raises questions about the role of consciousness in the physical world and the nature of reality itself.