What is the Mass of a Box in a Car's Trunk Based on Rear Shock Compression?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shock
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box of unknown mass being placed into a car trunk, causing the two rear shocks to compress by 7.00cm. The shocks are assumed to be springs with a spring constant of 35,000.00N/m, and the mass of the box is being determined. The conversation also clarifies the term "shock" as referring to a shock absorber, which is a combination of a spring and damper.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

When a box of unknown mass is placed into a trunk of a car, both rear shocks are compressed a distance of 7.00cm. If we assume the two rear shocks are made from springs, each with a spring constant of 35,000.00N/m, what is the mass of the box? (Assume g = 9.80m/s2).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even understand the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
"Shock" = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber" [Broken]. Just think of them as being vertically oriented springs with the mass placed right on top of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The car is mounted to the wheels by way of springs. Actually it's springs in parallel with dampers that add friction so the car doesn't keep bouncing up and down indefinitely after hitting a bump. The combination is called a "shock absorber" for obvious reasons. In short form, "shocks". In modern parlance we tend to refer to the damper as the shock and call the spring a spring... But for purposes of this question, the shocks are springs. Does that help? :smile:

The problem is saying that when a heavy box is placed in the rear of the car, the springs at the back are compressed by 7cm. Have fun!

Last edited:

1. What is a rear shock?

A rear shock is a mechanical component found on bicycles and motorcycles that helps absorb bumps and impacts while riding, allowing for a smoother and more controlled ride.

2. How does a rear shock work?

A rear shock typically consists of a spring and a damper. The spring absorbs the energy from bumps and impacts, while the damper helps dissipate that energy in a controlled manner, preventing the rider from being jolted or bounced around.

3. What types of rear shocks are there?

There are several types of rear shocks, including coil shocks, air shocks, and hybrid shocks that combine elements of both. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best type for a specific rider depends on their riding style and preferences.

4. How do I know when my rear shock needs to be replaced?

There are several signs that your rear shock may need to be replaced, including decreased performance, leaking fluid, unusual noises, and excessive wear on the shock itself. It's important to have your rear shock regularly inspected and serviced by a professional to ensure it's functioning properly.

5. Can I adjust my rear shock?

Yes, many rear shocks have adjustable settings such as rebound, compression, and preload, which allow riders to fine-tune the performance of their shock based on their riding style and terrain. It's important to consult the manufacturer's instructions or a professional mechanic when making adjustments to ensure they are done correctly and safely.