Transitioning from BSME to MSEE: Seeking Advice

• Thread starter Aero12
  • Start date
In summary, some individuals have taken the path of pursuing a MSEE after completing a BSME degree. The typical courses required to bridge from BSME to MSEE include analog/digital electronics, communication systems, signals and systems, and a course in solid state physics. It is also possible to TA courses and catch up within a year. Many people with non-EE backgrounds have successfully pursued a MSEE.
Aero12
Has anyone else out there has taken this path? I spoke with the EE department chair at my undergrad school and he said not to bother with a second bachelors (BSEE) and to just go ahead and apply to grad school, mention that I spoke with him, and once I've applied, they can generate a list of bridge courses that would be necessary to pursue a MSEE. I'm going to pursue this, but in the meantime I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or information they can share. What classes are typically required to bridge from BSME to MSEE? I have a good community college nearby, but does anyone know of some good online alternatives for any EE courses? (By good I mean in an abet accredited program).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aero12 said:
Has anyone else out there has taken this path? I spoke with the EE department chair at my undergrad school and he said not to bother with a second bachelors (BSEE) and to just go ahead and apply to grad school, mention that I spoke with him, and once I've applied, they can generate a list of bridge courses that would be necessary to pursue a MSEE. I'm going to pursue this, but in the meantime I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or information they can share. What classes are typically required to bridge from BSME to MSEE? I have a good community college nearby, but does anyone know of some good online alternatives for any EE courses? (By good I mean in an abet accredited program).

Thanks!

I know one guy who did this, he wanted to do research in solid state electronics; the basic courses for EE are analog/digital electronics, communication systems, signals and systems and probably a course in solid state physics from the EE dept. I know another guy who did the exact opposite route (BSEE and MSME and all he had to do was take mechanics of materials on top of statics, dynamics, and material science).

I used to work with a fellow that did this. He was interested in signal processing, so they had him TA the signals and systems course while he started taking courses in DSP, stocastic processes, etc. He had a little of a rough go of it at first, but after something like a year he had caught up.

Many people go to EE grad school with non-EE backgrounds (I've seen math, physics, applied physics, ME, ...). Don't be afraid - go for it.

jason

What is the difference between BSME and MSEE?

BSME stands for Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, while MSEE stands for Master of Science in Electrical Engineering. The main difference between the two degrees is the focus of study - BSME students primarily learn about mechanical systems and how to design and analyze them, while MSEE students focus on electrical systems and their applications.

Is it difficult to transition from a BSME to MSEE degree?

The difficulty of transitioning from a BSME to MSEE degree depends on your individual background and experience. Since the two degrees have different focuses, you may need to take additional courses or do extra studying to catch up on certain subjects. However, with hard work and dedication, it is certainly possible to successfully transition from a BSME to MSEE degree.

What are some tips for successfully transitioning from BSME to MSEE?

Some tips for successfully transitioning from BSME to MSEE include: researching the specific requirements and coursework for the MSEE program you are interested in, networking with current MSEE students or alumni for advice and guidance, and staying organized and focused on your studies.

Are there any career benefits to transitioning from a BSME to MSEE?

Transitioning from a BSME to MSEE can open up new career opportunities in the field of electrical engineering. With an MSEE degree, you may be eligible for higher level positions, such as project manager or research and development engineer, which often come with a higher salary and more responsibility.

Are there any potential challenges in transitioning from a BSME to MSEE?

One potential challenge in transitioning from a BSME to MSEE is the additional time and financial commitment required to complete the MSEE degree. Additionally, some of the coursework may be more challenging and require a different skill set than what you are used to. It is important to stay determined and seek support when needed to overcome these challenges.