Women are crazy. Interpret this text exchange for me, please

In summary, the conversation revolves around a disagreement between a man and his girlfriend regarding breakfast plans. The man declines her offer to cook breakfast, leading to her feeling upset and him feeling like he did nothing wrong. The man seeks opinions from others, including his sister and a class textbook, on the situation and the idea of women being indirect and passive. The conversation concludes with opinions on the behavior and expectations of men and women in relationships.
Pengwuino said:
This is going to make for some great chat room convo today

Pengy,

I agree with you, Borek, and Evo's comments, text messages don't lie, the evidence is there for all to see and review. Insecure and controlling are appropriate word's I would use as well.

On a positive note, sometimes instead of being the vehicle to highlight a problem, text's can actually be used to work through problem's in a relationship, because, first, they take longer to communicate than speech, you can carefully consider and pick your words carefully to deliver your message with great clarity, no room for interpretation, if there are nuances during the session, you can correct or clarify to the other party. It worked for me recently and my wife agreed it was better than talking in elevated tones filibustering one another, plenty gets lost in that exchange, let me tell you. But not with the slower pace of text's.

Peng, I hope you didn't take my comment in the chat quiz seriously, it was all good fun, I love you wicked sense of humor, and imitation is a form of flattery, eh ?

Rhody...

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
I suppose if one wants to be in a relationship where one is playing a role instead of being oneself that could work out. Personally I'm pretty tired of women who want me to play the role they have scripted for me rather than just liking me for who I am.

Ya. Your feelings are valid. But it isn't really a "playing a role". It is more of an understanding of what your partner is like and how to make them happy. Also, I don't know a married man to date that doesn't believe in "Happy wife, happy life"

But I do get your comment.

BobG said:
Breakfast before 9? As you mentioned, it's impossible to get up early enough to get ready to make a half hour drive so you can have breakfast at 8, or even earlier?!

Clearly, she was inviting you to spend the night and the invitation flew completely over your head. Your response was to discuss logistics. Clearly, there's only two possibilities - spending the night with her just isn't worth the trouble or you're so hopelessly inept at the subtle communications of romance that you're just not worth the trouble.

Or at least assuming the breakfast invitation was an invitation to spend the night (even if turned out not to be) would have changed the tone of the conversation and kept you out of trouble.

I thought he over-interpreted what she said and making big deal out of comments like "Thanks a lot I won't offer anything ever again" and escalating it to a serious fight :rofl: But your post makes much more sense!

As far as I can tell, this is fairly normal behaviour for neuro-typical humans, male or female. No good turn deserves to go unpunished.

I have made only one conclusion in my 20 years of relationships; to have no wife/girlfriend is to have too few of them, to have one is too many.

lollollol... this is totally something I could see myself doing...

Basically, she wants to see how much you want to spend time with her and enjoy her company! So if she was a super hot girl and you just met her last week, if she offered to cook you breakfast and you guys could eat together before going to the fair, you'd totally say yes right?! cos you are super attracted!

But now you know her for a while, you see her all the time, you stop feeling like she's so special and you can't be bothered to get up one hour early to see her. you'd rather sleep.
Well, this doesn't make her feel very good! she wants to feel like you are just as attracted to her and likes her just as much as before!

I guess its a little unrealistic of her to expect that... but if you love her, you could make a bit more effort! come on, its one hour of sleep. go to bed one hour earlier and go to her house with a flower in your hand and she will be super happy! and so will you.

nucleargirl said:
lollollol... this is totally something I could see myself doing...

$10 says you are the girl in question

nucleargirl said:
Basically, she wants to see how much you want to spend time with her and enjoy her company! So if she was a super hot girl and you just met her last week, if she offered to cook you breakfast and you guys could eat together before going to the fair, you'd totally say yes right?! cos you are super attracted!

Wrong

But now you know her for a while, you see her all the time, you stop feeling like she's so special and you can't be bothered to get up one hour early to see her. you'd rather sleep.
Well, this doesn't make her feel very good! she wants to feel like you are just as attracted to her and likes her just as much as before!

I guess its a little unrealistic of her to expect that... but if you love her, you could make a bit more effort! come on, its one hour of sleep. go to bed one hour earlier and go to her house with a flower in your hand and she will be super happy! and so will you.

A little more effort? I just spent almost 14 hours with her. Surely that's enough.

I really don't think I would be "super happy" about getting there early with a flower in my hand, anyway. That just doesn't sound like something I'd do.

You people are brutal. And you judge like none of you have ever had a misunderstanding via electronic messaging.

"I'll pass. Thanks anyway" is quite terse and can be construed to be quite a cold rejection.

Granted, she may have overreacted. But it could have been easily rectified by acknowledging that she wanted to do something nice, but it would be awkward for your schedule, and there's no sleight intended. Instead you act like her feeling sleighted - even for the moment - is "crazy". There is no empathy here for her feelings. It was just an ember, but you threw gasoline on it.

This is a classic case of mutual escalation. One steps out of line, even momentarily, and the other, rather than cajoling the two of them back to centre with a calming word, pushes it further from centre. Spiral downward guaranteed.You guys might be both better off apart.

Last edited:
My *crazy sensor* has never been wrong.

Hmmm, I would have probably ignored her response about you rejecting the offer, and just tell her you'll see her at the pick up time, and move along.

Jack21222 said:
Wrong

Uhh... :uhh:

Could you elaborate?

Crazy. Under reacting. Over reacting.

These don't say much.

The woman wants some romance out of you and you are not responding correctly. Romance means worship. She does some small thing, like making bacon and eggs, and you are supposed to go gnumb with appreciation and faun all over her and treat her to extravigant gifts, treats and delights.

You are not living up to the romance novels. Get with it shipmate.

--or just use, abuse and dump her; she's crazy.

Last edited:
Phrak said:

--or just use, abuse and dump her; she's crazy.

Yah, that's what I think too. Girl wants some romance, and he probably always wants to drive. Nothing happening, totally normal relation.

Man, two 'crazinesses' in three months. Last relation I had saw tree mood swings a day including the aggressiveness and throwing with stuff. Couldn't get it to work, that's the only thought I have on the whole subject.

Phrak said:
The woman wants some romance out of you and you are not responding correctly. Romance means worship. She does some small thing, like making bacon and eggs, and you are supposed to go gnumb with appreciation and faun all over her and treat her to extravigant gifts, treats and delights.

Wow.

You single?
:biggrin:

This may tide Jack through life ( and the rest of us dumb males ) who find the woman's mind a mystery.
http://funny2.com/whatwomenwantinaman.htm

What women want in a man at age 25:

1. Handsome
2. Charming
3. Financially successful
4. A caring listener
5. Witty
6. In good shape
7. Dresses with style
8. Appreciates finer things
9. Full of thoughtful surprises
10. An imaginative, romantic lover

What women want in a man at age 35:

1. Nice looking (preferably with hair)
2. Opens car doors, holds chairs
3. Has enough money for a nice dinner
4. Listens more than talks
5. Laughs at my jokes
6. Carries bags of groceries with ease
7. Owns at least one tie
8. Appreciates a good home-cooked meal
9. Remembers birthdays and anniversaries
10. Seeks romance at least once a week

What women want in a man at age 45:

1. Not too ugly (bald head is fine)
2. Doesn't drive off until I'm in the car
3. Works steady - splurges on dinner out occasionally
4. Nods head when I'm talking
5. Usually remembers punch lines of jokes
6. Is in good enough shape to rearrange the furniture
7. Wears a shirt that covers his stomach
8. Knows not to buy champagne with screw-top lids
9. Remembers to put the toilet seat down
10. Shaves most weekends

What women want in a man at age 55:

1. Keeps hair in nose and ears trimmed
2. Doesn't belch or scratch in public
3. Doesn't borrow money too often
4. Doesn't nod off to sleep when I'm venting
5. Doesn't re-tell the same joke too many times
6. Is in good enough shape to get off couch on weekends
7. Usually wears matching socks and fresh underwear
8. Appreciates a good TV dinner
9. Remembers your name on occasion
10. Shaves some weekends

What women want in a man at age 65:

1. Doesn't scare small children
2. Remembers where bathroom is
3. Doesn't require much money for upkeep
4. Only snores lightly when asleep
5. Remembers why he's laughing
6. Is in good enough shape to stand up by himself
7. Usually wears some clothes
8. Likes soft foods
9. Remembers where he left his teeth
10. Remembers that it's the weekend

What women want in a man at age 75:

1. Breathing
2. Doesn't miss the toilet

DaveC426913 said:
Wow.

You single?
:biggrin:

No, I'm married. And the default state of toilet seat covers is up, of course.

You?

The girl is kinda oversensitive, I agree. Could be the tone "Thanks anyway, but I'll pass" though, which sounds a tad bit cold. If it was me I would say "Thanks a lot dear, but I really need more sleep, next time we'll have breakfast together". Then if she gets angry at that, well, the red flag is more clear.

I see at least two issues here.

A: Text conveys no cues for emotions and such that a verbal conversation might have given.

B: It "appears" that she expected you to say yes and have breakfast. This is extremely normal, even if it makes no sense. I guarantee you that almost everyone here has done this a few times in their lives. Some people do it much more often, and are "passive aggressive" with it. The best way to avoid confusion is to clearly talk about these issues when they arise so that both you and your partner understand each other. Next time either she will say "I want to have breakfast with you" or you will understand the phrase to mean that instead. Hopefully it's a mix of the 2, aka compromise. While it may not seem fair to you, and you may think she simply needs to be clear with what she means, it is nearly impossible to change someone's personality traits and behaviors completely. You WILL run into this again. Either you learn to live with it a little bit or your relationship probably won't last.

DISCLAIMER: The poster is not a licensed anything, and probably has no idea what he's talking about, and makes no guarantee about the accuracy of said post.

Drakkith said:
Either you learn to live with it a little bit or your relationship probably won't last.

Eh, I'm not really the relationship type anyway. If I stick it out for a few more months, the problem might solve itself. If I get accepted to a far away grad school and rejected nearby, we'll have to break up, and I won't look like a jerk for doing it. :-p

I think that the silliest thing I ever got upset about with a person I was dating was when my ex invited me, last minute, to go on a trip she knew my schedule would not allow me to go on. Considering she was constantly upset with me because she was always trying to read between the lines with everything I said and did (only a slight exaggeration) I was more than a little wondering as to her intent in inviting me on that trip. Since she always saw some ulterior motive it was hard for me to believe that she had none herself.

Jack21222 said:
If I stick it out for a few more months, the problem might solve itself.
Or you could man up and do right by her now.

I'm beginning to see something familiar here. "My last girlfriend? She went psycho on me."

Jack21222 said:
Eh, I'm not really the relationship type anyway. If I stick it out for a few more months, the problem might solve itself. If I get accepted to a far away grad school and rejected nearby, we'll have to break up, and I won't look like a jerk for doing it. :-p

What the hell. You are joking right? otherwise you would look like a real jerk.
if you are being serious, then dump her right now. she can make pancakes for someone a little less selfish.

Jack21222 said:

Who's playing games now?? You don't love her and you want to dump her. But instead of being honest to her, you start playing games and stuff. Not to mention that you posted a private conversation between you and your gf to strangers on the internet. I would be heavily insulted if I were your gf.

I suggest you stay as far away from girls as possible.

Jack21222 said:
A little more effort? I just spent almost 14 hours with her. Surely that's enough.

If it feels like a chore for you to spend time with her, then there is something wrong with your relationship.

So people ... are all those crazy meters still going off - on her? :approve:

You do have a choice, but you will definitely choose wrong. For example, when you chose not to have breakfast, the multiverse split in two directions, you are living in one of them. Here is a glimpse into that other universe.

Her: Let me know about breakfast cause I'll need to take stuff out of the freezer tonight

You: I'd love to have breakfast. Thanks

Her: You only love me for my cooking. I won't offer anything ever again

You: ?

Her: ?

You: I don't understand why you're mad. You don't have to make me breakfast.

Her: I'm not mad. That is not the point I know I don't have to cook breakfast. I find it rude if someone is doing something nice for you to take advantage of them. Like I said, I won't offer

You: I didn't know I didn't have a choice in the matter. If I wasn't allowed to accept breakfast, you should have told me

Her: U always have a choice, u just chose wrong. U can always do what u want. I was being nice.

You: I was going to wake up an extra hour early just so you can be nice. I don't think I chose wrong

Her: Ok ttyl

Jimmy Snyder said:
You do have a choice, but you will definitely choose wrong. For example, when you chose not to have breakfast, the multiverse split in two directions, you are living in one of them. Here is a glimpse into that other universe.

And then there is "EVIL" Universe

You: Are you making me breakfast in the morning?

Her: I am not making breakfast for you in the morning.

You: I'd love you to make me breakfast. It would be great.

Her: I am not making breakfast and that's it. OK. Got it.

You: ?

Her: ?

You: I don't understand why you're mad. You don't have to make me breakfast then.

Her: I'm not mad. That is not the point I know I don't have to cook breakfast. I find it rude for you to take advantage of them. Like I said, I won't do it.

You: I didn't know you had a choice in the matter. If I wasn't allowed to eat breakfast, you should have told me

Her: I always have a choice, u just chose wrong. U can always do what u want.

You: I was going to wake up an extra hour early just so you can be nice. I don't think I chose wrong

Her: Ok ttyl

Or the way it should have been:

Her: Let me know about breakfast cause I'll need to take stuff out of the freezer tonight

Me: I'd love some breakfast. Thanks for being so nice to me

Her: I love you, Pumpkin

Me: I love you, Hunny bunny

haha @ the conversations in parallel universes

but yeah, overreaction in my opinion. i'd be like 'fwaaaaah?!'

did she seem pissed off BEFORE offering? was there any hit of sarcasm in her voice?

Jack21222 said:

What? Ok, so they say opposites attract, but it sounds like you're both jerks. Are you both children?

DaveC426913 said:
So people ... are all those crazy meters still going off - on her? :approve:
Yep. His feelings, or lack of, for her right now doesn't change her going psycho on him about breakfast.

Jack21222 said:
Alright, so my girlfriend and I are planning to go to the Renaissance Fair tomorrow morning. I'd leave my house around 8:30 and pick her up at 9. She offered to cook me breakfast tomorrow morning before we leave, but I declined, since I'd already be waking up at 8am as it is, and I don't want to wake up even earlier.

I'm not saying she didn't overreact, but there was one glaring mistake you made given the dialogue you provided us. When you declined her you neither gave a comforting reason why (only later, and by then it was useless) nor praised her thoughtful idea ("thanks anyway" is not proper praise). You claim to have good dating experience but you have not learned this skill and still think being logical matters or winning an argument matters. It doesn't. The rest of the dialogue was her being reactionary and hurt. We've all acted like that. She might have been excited to do something nice for you and you just shot her down coldly. I'm not suggesting you play any games, it's just about being thoughtful towards people you're supposed to care about and learning how to show that even when you decline them something. You could have also after giving a comforting reason and praise, suggested a different date she could cook you breakfast and how much you are looking forward to it. There were so many things you could have said, so many!

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm not saying she didn't overreact, but there was one glaring mistake you made given the dialogue you provided us. When you declined her you neither gave a comforting reason why (only later, and by then it was useless) nor praised her thoughtful idea ("thanks anyway" is not proper praise). You claim to have good dating experience but you have not learned this skill and still think being logical matters or winning an argument matters. It doesn't. The rest of the dialogue was her being reactionary and hurt. We've all acted like that. She might have been excited to do something nice for you and you just shot her down coldly. I'm not suggesting you play any games, it's just about being thoughtful towards people you're supposed to care about and learning how to show that even when you decline them something. You could have also after giving a comforting reason and praise, suggested a different date she could cook you breakfast and how much you are looking forward to it. There were so many things you could have said, so many!

Similar to when you ask a girl out for the first time, but she's not interested at all and politely declines your offer with some excuse, and sometimes no chance for meeting again in the future :tongue2:

To the OP - I think you may have a fundamental problem of communication in your relationship. That exchange reminds me of something that would have happened with an old girl-friend of mind. Basically we weren't on the same page about how to spend time together. Her expectation was that we spent every possible moment together regardless of the difficulty (and did as much together as possible, eat, etc). My expectation was that she was a very high priority in my life, but there were times when I needed time to myself or with other friends. She was an old high school friend and lived about 2hr away, so traveling after work (and again before work) wasn't totally trivial. This also factored into going down there to eat sometimes at 8p or 9p if I got off of work late - creating similar situations to yours above.

I call her on my way leaving work, I've already texted her earlier stating what time I expected to leave (so that wasn't an issue)
Her (at 8pm, I'm just leaving work): Want me to make dinner?
Me: Na, I'll grab something quick now.
Her: You don't like what I'm making?
Me: No, it's already way past dinner time and I'm hungry now!

I later found out that this really annoyed her, she expected to be able to provide a meal for me at times like this. Knowing this type of situation exists, with my future girlfriends (and now wife) I was able to identify this communications mismatch. I've basically solved it with the following:

Her: Want me to make you food?
Me: Are you going to be insulted if I say no? I'm really hungry now and it will be 2 hours before food is ready at your place.
Her: Oh, no problem - I will make food for myself and see you when you get here.

I think it's already been echo'd here - but learning to give your reasons immediately can be a success. Your current GF may be a little off her rocker if this is a continuing fight, but you have to understand that you basically just rejected her offer to provide something for you and reasoning after doesn't mitigate the hurt already caused. If she got over it immediately and didn't hold it against you, then I wouldn't worry about it so much. Learning each others methods for communication takes time and isn't always automatic.

sorry, double post.

Last edited by a moderator: