Understanding Implications of 10MΩ Resistor in Circuit

• Thread starter antoine1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary: It's just how we do things over there.Apotheosis has arrived.In summary, this schematic has a 10 megohm resistor in it, which does nothing to affect the total resistance. The pots are read by the analogue inputs of an Arduino Mega2560, which sends MIDI messages. There is some resistance either in series with each pot individually, or a resistor between one of the power rails and the rest of the pots. If all Pots are turned to 0, there is a short risk of power rails being shorted. This schematic raises more questions than it answers.
antoine1
Hello,

Could someone please help a noob like me understand the implications of having the 10MΩ resistor in the circuit i have uploaded. So far I've gathered it doesn't really influence the total resistance.
I thought it could decrease the current but adding a branch should slightly increase it since it add to the number multiplying the voltage in the formula..
And it doesn't help the pots handling the current when they go down in resistance, does it?

Thanks a lot,

antoine

Attachments

• Potentiometers in Parallel.jpg
    Potentiometers in Parallel.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 999
Engineering news on Phys.org
antoine1 said:
Hello,

Could someone please help a noob like me understand the implications of having the 10MΩ resistor in the circuit i have uploaded. So far I've gathered it doesn't really influence the total resistance.
I thought it could decrease the current but adding a branch should slightly increase it since it add to the number multiplying the voltage in the formula..
And it doesn't help the pots handling the current when they go down in resistance, does it?

Thanks a lot,

antoine

Welcome to the PF.

What is that circuit from? It would appear to do nothing, except maybe to set voltages between 5V and ground on the "Analog Input" signals...?

Hi berkeman,

The voltage across the pots is read by the analogue inputs of an Arduino Mega2560 (using the Atmel Atmega2560) programmed to send MIDI messages.

Thanks

antoine

antoine1 said:
Hi berkeman,

The voltage across the pots is read by the analogue inputs of an Arduino Mega2560 (using the Atmel Atmega2560) programmed to send MIDI messages.

Thanks

antoine

Ah, then yes, the 10M resistor does nothing.

As a side note, there should be some resistance either in series with each pot individually, or a resistor between one of the power rails and the rest of the pots.

This would keep the power rails from seeing a short if all Pots are turned to 0.

mdjensen22 said:
As a side note, there should be some resistance either in series with each pot individually, or a resistor between one of the power rails and the rest of the pots.

This would keep the power rails from seeing a short if all Pots are turned to 0.

That's not the way I interpret the diagram. It looks like the rails will always see the parallel combination of the full pot resistances, and the wipers just select up and down between the rails. The wipers are varying their output voltages, not varying any resistances, I believe.

that schematic raises more questions than it answers.

first question is are those variable resistors potentiometers or rheostats?

the arrow through element infers rheostats, which are just variable resistors

but both ends of element are shown connected as in a potentiometer where wiper taps voltage partway through element
and a rheostat is usually drawn with one end unconnected.

i suspect the arrow should be perpendicular to element and end where arrowhead touches element, as in a potentiometer

else the circuit makes no sense. Setting one variable resistor to zero would make all seven AN's read zero.

I call that sloppy draftsmanship.

if indeed they are potentiometers,,,
i notice they're located at various wheels and knobs.

Perhaps there's a connector and wiring harness involved?
then the 10meg could provide a minimum load for 5V line provided it remains in circuit when that connector is unplugged.

the picture is incomplete. my diagnosis is lazy drafting.

EDIT oops i see Berkeman got there already.

Berkeman, you are correct (no surprise there) - I see it drawn that way as well. I guess I shouldn't post early in the morning :-/

Yes, although I think jim hardy brings up good points about the ambiguities in the schematic as drawn.

Since it's an Arduino schematic, which is an Italian company (if memory serves me), perhaps that's just the European convention for a pot.

Just like, for resistors, they use a box and we use a squiggly.

1. What is the purpose of a 10MΩ resistor in a circuit?

The 10MΩ resistor is used to limit the amount of current in a circuit. It acts as a safety measure to prevent damage to the components in the circuit.

2. How does a 10MΩ resistor affect the voltage in a circuit?

A 10MΩ resistor will not significantly affect the voltage in a circuit, as it has a high resistance value. However, it will cause a small voltage drop due to the current passing through it.

3. Can a 10MΩ resistor be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, a 10MΩ resistor can be used in a variety of circuits, such as in power supplies, amplifiers, and filters. Its main function is to limit current, so it can be used in any circuit where that is necessary.

4. How do I choose the appropriate 10MΩ resistor for my circuit?

The appropriate 10MΩ resistor can be chosen by considering the power rating, tolerance, and temperature coefficient of the resistor. These factors will depend on the specific requirements of your circuit.

5. Can a 10MΩ resistor be replaced with a different value resistor?

It is not recommended to replace a 10MΩ resistor with a different value, as this could significantly affect the circuit's performance. However, if necessary, a resistor with a similar resistance value can be used, but it is important to consider the impact on the circuit's current and voltage.