Time-dependent Lagrangian problem

• Thread starter saul goodman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation discusses using Lagrangian to find the conserved momentum of a system consisting of a child, Alice, on a playground merry-go-round modeled as a point mass m on a homogeneous horizontal disc of mass M and radius a. It is determined that the Lagrangian should give a conservation of the generalized momentum, and the moment of inertia for Alice is equivalent to that of a ring of negligible thickness rotating about an axis perpendicular to its center.
saul goodman

Homework Statement

Q) A child, Alice, on a playground merry-go-round can be modeled as a point mass m on a homogeneous horizontal disc of mass M and radius a. The disc rotates without friction about a vertical axis through its center. Alice clings to a straight railing that extends from the center of the disc to its perimeter. Alice's distance R(t) from the centre is a function of time determined by her muscles, while the angle θ between the railing and (say) the East is a dynamical variable

Find the Lagrangian for the system. Deduce from Lagrangian that pθ (momentum) is conserved

Homework Equations

The disc's (merry-go-round) momentum of inertia is 0.5ma^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honesty, I haven't been able to give a serious attempt at this. In lectures we have done no time-dependent examples. Obviously I have to use the formula L=T-V (kinetic - potential energy) however I don't know how I would begin to work out the kinetic energy. Should I start with working out the center of mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can figure out the T based on the center of mass of the system, but it's much easier to break the T into two (Alice and the merry go round), and then sum them up.

There wouldn't be any gravitational V since (we hope) she doesn't fall. Because of this the Lagrangian should give you a conservation of the generalized momentum.

physicsvalk said:
You can figure out the T based on the center of mass of the system, but it's much easier to break the T into two (Alice and the merry go round), and then sum them up.

There wouldn't be any gravitational V since (we hope) she doesn't fall. Because of this the Lagrangian should give you a conservation of the generalized momentum.

Okay thanks a lot. Well if we do it like that I get:

Kinetic energy for Alice:

T=0.5 m R`2 + 0.25 m R2 θ`2

Kinetic energy for the merry go round:

T = 0.5 m a2 θ`2 + 0.25 m a2 θ`2 = 0.75 m a2 θ`

Although I'm not confident with these answers. In my notes kinetic energy in a system is defined as T= 0.5 M R`2 + 0.5 I θ`2 where I is the moment of inertia, but I'm not sure if the moment of inertia for the girl is the same as that for a disc...

Oh and I'm guessing since there isn't any gravity, V=0

What's the moment of inertia of one point particle, rotating about an axis? (It might help to know that Alice's I is the same as the I for a ring of negligible thickness, rotating about an axis perpendicular to its center.)

physicsvalk said:
What's the moment of inertia of one point particle, rotating about an axis? (It might help to know that Alice's I is the same as the I for a ring of negligible thickness, rotating about an axis perpendicular to its center.)

I=mr2 for a particle rotating about an axis, so unless I'm missing something the moment of inertia is simply I=mR^2 for Alice? (which is what I wrote in my previous post)

For that, yes. Now you can simply apply the Lagrangian and get your answer :D

Thank you for the help!

1. What is a "Time-dependent Lagrangian problem"?

A time-dependent Lagrangian problem is a type of mathematical problem that deals with finding the optimal path between two points in a system, taking into account both position and velocity. It is based on the Lagrangian mechanics, which is a branch of classical mechanics that uses a mathematical function called the Lagrangian to describe the dynamics of a system.

2. How is a time-dependent Lagrangian problem different from a time-independent Lagrangian problem?

In a time-dependent Lagrangian problem, the Lagrangian function depends explicitly on time, while in a time-independent Lagrangian problem, it does not. This means that the equations of motion in a time-dependent problem have an additional term that accounts for the time dependency, making the problem more complex.

3. What are some real-life applications of time-dependent Lagrangian problems?

Time-dependent Lagrangian problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include finding the optimal path for a spacecraft to travel between two planets, designing the motion of a robotic arm, and understanding the dynamics of a pendulum.

4. How are time-dependent Lagrangian problems solved?

There are several methods for solving time-dependent Lagrangian problems, including the Euler-Lagrange equations, the Hamilton's principle, and the calculus of variations. These methods involve using calculus and mathematical techniques to find the optimal path that satisfies the given constraints and boundary conditions.

5. What are some challenges associated with time-dependent Lagrangian problems?

One of the main challenges with time-dependent Lagrangian problems is that they can be quite complex and difficult to solve analytically. This means that numerical methods, such as computer simulations, are often used to find approximate solutions. Additionally, the time-dependency in these problems can make them highly sensitive to initial conditions, making it challenging to determine the exact solution.