Oscilloscope/Function Generator with GnuRadio (using very cheap hardware)

In summary, the individual is interested in using python to create an oscilloscope and function generator in real time using arbitrary waveforms defined by a numpy array. They are new to this field and want to understand what gnu radio is capable of and what hardware they would need. They are considering using a $2 usb audio driver and Mathematica, but want to know if gnu radio is a better option and what would be the cheapest hardware needed for this setup. They also mention being able to find more information on Physics Forums.
aeftimia
I was just getting started with RF signal processing, and I was very interested in being able to make an oscilloscope and function generator work in real time with python. Essentially, I would like some means of: *Creating arbitrary waveforms defined by a numpy array (or sending out individual pulses in real time) *Reading arbitrary waveforms into a numpy array (or receiving instantaneous voltage readings in real time)

I am quite new to this field, and I want to make sure I understand exactly what gnu radio is capable of and how I might go about setting this up.

It seems that gnu-radio is meant to interface with USRP--which is definitely out of my price range at the moment. I want to have a much better idea of what I am doing before I spend more than $20 on this.

I know $20 is not a lot, but I know that I can build an oscilloscope from a $2 usb audio driver, and I can use Mathematica (which I already have) to play arbitrary waveforms through the audio jack in my computer. Radio Shack has all the electronics I need to work with that signal. I am not looking for good sampling rates or anything fancy--yet. I just want a better grasp of the field.

So is gnu radio the best way to go about making a simple oscilloscope + function generator setup? If so, what is the cheapest hardware I would need to get something that will send/receive arbitrary waveforms?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to measure and display electronic signals in the form of a graph. It is typically used to observe and analyze waveforms of varying amplitude over time. It is an essential tool in electrical engineering, physics, and other scientific fields.

2. What is a function generator?

A function generator is a device that produces electronic waveforms of various shapes, frequencies, and amplitudes. It is commonly used in electronic testing and design to provide a known input signal to a circuit or device. It can generate waveforms such as sine, square, triangle, and sawtooth.

3. How does GnuRadio work with oscilloscopes and function generators?

GnuRadio is an open-source software toolkit designed for developing and deploying software-defined radios. It can also be used to control and interface with hardware devices such as oscilloscopes and function generators. GnuRadio provides a graphical user interface for users to easily generate and control waveforms and view the resulting signals on the connected devices.

4. Can GnuRadio be used with cheap hardware for oscilloscope and function generator functions?

Yes, GnuRadio can be used with very cheap hardware for oscilloscope and function generator functions. GnuRadio is compatible with a wide range of hardware devices, including low-cost options such as the RTL-SDR dongle. This makes it a cost-effective solution for those on a budget.

5. What are the advantages of using GnuRadio for oscilloscope and function generator functions?

Using GnuRadio for oscilloscope and function generator functions has several advantages. Firstly, it is an open-source software, so it is free to use and can be customized to fit specific needs. It also has a user-friendly graphical interface, making it easy to use for beginners. Additionally, GnuRadio is highly versatile and can be used with a wide range of hardware devices, allowing for more flexibility in experiments and research.