Is the Universe Really 30 Billion Light Years Across?

• Thread starter Blhack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the observable universe is estimated to have a radius of 47 billion light years and is believed to have been already extensive at time zero. This means there is not an estimated upper bound on the size of the universe. However, the most distant objects whose light is currently reaching us are estimated to be around 40 billion light years away. The age of the universe is believed to be around 13.7 to 13.8 billion years. This information is based on the consensus view of experts in the field of cosmology, such as Lineweaver and Ned Wright.
Blhack
How big is the universe? This has been really bugging me since I read an article that said it was 30 billion light years across. This, however, did not seem possible to me, if the universe is about 8 billion years old, then isn't the maximum size the universe could be 16 billion light years across? I am complete novice in the field of physics, feel free to make fun of my stupidity but please in the process teach me something.
/wants to learn

blhack

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Blhack
How big is the universe? This has been really bugging me since I read an article that said it was 30 billion light years across. This, however, did not seem possible to me, if the universe is about 8 billion years old, then isn't the maximum size the universe could be 16 billion light years across? I am complete novice in the field of physics, feel free to make fun of my stupidity but please in the process teach me something.
/wants to learn

blhack

try this article by a professional cosmologist
it is not a popularization but it is pretty understandable and
has clear diagrams of the past, present, future size of the observable universe
gives the standard conventional view that has come to be shared by a lot of experts

http://arxiv.org/astro-ph/0305159

it is 34 pages PDF so takes a little while to download but worth it.

consensus view is that the universe did not start out at a point
but was already extensive at time zero
so there is not estimated upper bound on universe size
but there is an OBSERVABLE piece of it, which we can estimate the
size of

the most distant objects whose light is now reaching us are at this moment how many lightyears away? (they are farther away now than when they emitted the light that is now reaching us)
Lineweaver's article will tell you what the consensus view is on that. It is, if I recall correctly, around 40 billion light years.

So that is the radius of the universe which we are currently able to observe.

Hmm I just checked Lineweaver's figure 1 on page 6.
He says 47 billion light years for the current radius of the observable universe.

His figure for the age is larger than yours---around 13.7 or 13.8 billion.

The radius of the observable tends to be somewhat over 3 times
the age of the universe converted to light years. Age 14 billion multiplied by 3 gives 42 billion (but it is a bit more than 3 times so it is 47 billion instead)

Have to allow for the fact that the universe has expanded a whole bunch since the light from those distant things was emitted so they are a lot farther away than just the age converted to lightyears!

Lineweaver was a leader of the COBE satellite mapping of the cosmic microwave background.

You get the same consensus view from Ned Wright's website. He has FAQ. He teaches cosmology at UCLA and is a leader of the
current (WMAP) cosmic microwave background satellite observations.

Essentially the same figures on age and size no matter which expert you ask.

Remember you can always choose to disbelieve the expert consensus, if 47 billion light years sounds too big to be the radius of the observable universe!

You can find Ned Wright's cosmology FAQ on google, I think, but if you want I'll get the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big. Really, really big. Just like is says in Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

1. What is the size of the universe?

The size of the universe is constantly changing and expanding. It is currently estimated to be at least 93 billion light-years in diameter, but it could be even larger as our technology and understanding of the universe improves.

2. How do scientists measure the size of the universe?

Scientists use various methods to measure the size of the universe, such as calculating the distance between celestial objects, observing the cosmic microwave background, and studying the expansion rate of the universe.

3. Is the universe infinite?

The universe is believed to be infinite, but we are limited in our ability to fully comprehend its size and scale. Our observable universe is constantly expanding, but we cannot know for sure if it has an end or if it is truly infinite.

4. Can we see the entire universe?

No, we cannot see the entire universe. Our observable universe is limited to the distance that light has traveled since the beginning of the universe, which is about 93 billion light-years. Beyond that, the light has not reached us yet.

5. How does the size of the universe affect us?

The size of the universe is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the world and our place in it. It helps us study and learn about the origins and evolution of the universe, and it also reminds us of how vast and mysterious our universe truly is.