Learn Fusion Basics: Theory & Cold Fusion Energy

In summary, According to this article, cold fusion is still considered pseudoscience. There has been no successful replication of the results that F & P claimed back in the 80s.
bionic_atom
Hello I just recently finshed physics honors on a high school level, but my class because of bad weather, and a tight schedule was unable to go over anything having to deal with automic physics. Could anybody direct me to understanding fussion, and the theories that have been brought up about making energy with cold fusion?

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the lastest ideas on Cold Fusion then?? i just read some stuff on the Fleischmann and Pons work and it appears it was never rejected and yet i havnt heard of any research being conducted ATM. I thought the Fleischmann and Pons work produced 50%+ more energy than put in? this would make it a very worthwhile source of energy! what's going on here?

tozhan said:
Whats the lastest ideas on Cold Fusion then?? i just read some stuff on the Fleischmann and Pons work and it appears it was never rejected and yet i havnt heard of any research being conducted ATM. I thought the Fleischmann and Pons work produced 50%+ more energy than put in? this would make it a very worthwhile source of energy! what's going on here?

Er... you JUST read some stuff on this? (i) where did you read it (it would be nice if you give a complete citation); (ii) how OLD is this thing that you read?

Please read Bob Park's book "Voodoo Science". He described in painful detail (since he practically had a front-row seat to the whole debacle) the saga of this "cold fusion" up to 2001 (the book publication date). So maybe this will get you up to speed.

Zz.

cold fusion = psuedoscience

As far as I know, no one has been able to duplicate the results that F & P claimed. The whole "cold fusion" debacle is considered something of a scandal.

ZapperZ said:
Please read Bob Park's book "Voodoo Science".
A great book! (And Bob Park is hilarious.)

ok i will, thanks guys, i think the website was pretty old. ;)

Cold Fusion

Dear Folks,

This is the best articel I've found on cold fusion:

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/17896

Erich

BA,

You can also check this link on http://www.pppl.gov/fusion_basics/pages/fusion_basics.html from the Princeton Plasma Physics lab.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is fusion and how does it work?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy, and it is the same process that powers our sun. In order for fusion to occur, the nuclei must overcome their natural repulsion and come close enough together for the strong nuclear force to bind them together.

2. What is the difference between fusion and fission?

Fusion is the process of combining two or more nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, while fission is the process of splitting a heavy nucleus into two or more smaller nuclei. In fusion, energy is released when the nuclei combine, while in fission, energy is released when the nuclei split. Additionally, fusion only occurs at extremely high temperatures and pressures, while fission can occur at lower temperatures.

3. What is cold fusion and is it a viable source of energy?

Cold fusion is a hypothetical form of nuclear reaction in which fusion occurs at or near room temperature. However, there is currently no scientific evidence to support its existence. While cold fusion has been a topic of research and speculation for decades, it has not been proven to be a reliable source of energy.

4. What are the potential benefits of using fusion as an energy source?

Fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It produces no greenhouse gases, no radioactive waste, and does not rely on depletable resources like fossil fuels. Additionally, fusion reactions release a large amount of energy, making it a highly efficient source of energy.

5. What are the current challenges in achieving practical fusion energy?

The main challenge in achieving practical fusion energy is the extreme conditions required for fusion to occur. This includes high temperatures and pressures, as well as the ability to contain and control the fusion reaction. Scientists are also working to develop materials that can withstand the intense conditions inside a fusion reactor. Additionally, there are still many technical and engineering challenges to overcome before fusion can be harnessed as a reliable source of energy.