Any recent ASUS laptop users out there?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the customer's laptop lid is jammed and they were not able to open it without breaking something. They went into the config.sys file to disable some preinstalled programs and services that may be causing problems. They also suggest oiling the hinges or using WD40.
turbo
Gold Member
A little help please... how do you open the lid without breaking anything? This thing seems jammed shut.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There must be a slide latch on the front. The model number would help.

if its a magnetic latch then maybe a magnet would help. Beware of strong magnets near your machine though.

Lastly, if you look at it edge on do you see any latch pins between the cover and the keyboard. You might be able to use a thin screwdriver to move it and open the cover.

The model is A53E.

ASUS customer assistance is not assistance in the real sense of the word.

Thanks, all. got that sucker open.

you might try the magnet running it across either edge to see if its attracted to an inside magnet and maybe it will dislodge it enough to open.

You could also try different orientations like holding it upside down or on its side to see if the relieves the latch pressure. Apple laptops used to use magnetic latches that would get stuck. Some solutions were suggested here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/apple/topics/how_do_i_fix_the_latch_on_my_macbook_pro

beyond that I have no idea. I couldn't see from the online pictures of your model how the mag latch worked. Good luck.

Thanks again. I don't think it was a magnetic latch - just really tight hinges, and I didn't want to pry hard enough to crack the screen.

BTW, maybe I just got lucky, but the customer-service rep that I got could actually speak understandable English. I haven't had that good fortune with Dell reps.

After opening and closing the lid a few times, things seem OK. Just too new, too tight, I guess. I hate risking damage to new gear by using brute force.

It seems OK now, after opening and closing it a few times. I just didn't want to exert too much force and crack the screen. It's surprising how tight plastic hinges can be.

turbo said:
It seems OK now, after opening and closing it a few times. I just didn't want to exert too much force and crack the screen. It's surprising how tight plastic hinges can be.

Yeah it just needs to be "broken in" :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah it just needs to be "broken in" :)
I just didn't want to "break" anything in the process. That sucker was tight, and I didn't want to pull hard enough to crack that screen.

It's OK now.

My wife calls it "her" computer, but she demanded that I buy it when the yearly bonuses were announced, so I could still have a PC when the power goes out here (often).

It is always tight the first time.

These days it goes smoothly.

Model UL80VT.

Turbo,

My ASUS Laptop is two years old, and the top with the screen still opens stiff, I am kind of glad it does. It has been reliable as a rock, nothing spilled on the keyboard, etc... One thing you may want to do is go into config.sys from the run menu and turn off a bunch of preinstalled ASUS crap they send with it, I only have about five startup programs in the list, same for servies as well, that can get tricky because of one or more services can depend on others and no hierarchy tree exists to tell you what is what. I have that trimmed to the low 40 count as well, once that is done it should boot and run in 30 - 40 seconds. Good luck.

Rhody...

1. What are the top features of recent ASUS laptops?

Some of the top features of recent ASUS laptops include powerful processors, high-quality graphics, long battery life, and a variety of connectivity options.

2. Are ASUS laptops durable and reliable?

Yes, ASUS laptops are known for their durability and reliability. They undergo rigorous testing and quality control procedures to ensure they can withstand daily use and last for a long time.

3. Are recent ASUS laptops suitable for gaming?

Yes, many recent ASUS laptops are built with gaming in mind. They have powerful graphics cards and high refresh rate displays to provide an immersive gaming experience.

4. Do ASUS laptops have good customer support?

ASUS has a dedicated customer support team that is available 24/7 to assist with any issues or concerns. They also offer a warranty for their laptops to ensure customer satisfaction.

5. What is the price range for recent ASUS laptops?

The price range for recent ASUS laptops varies depending on the model and specifications. They offer budget-friendly options as well as high-end, premium laptops for those looking for top-of-the-line features.