What is the Mass-Luminosity Relationship for Stars?

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible formulation for the relationship between the radius, mass, and luminosity of a star, as well as the inclusion of constants and sources for further research. The final formula is simplified to L=M^(0.72/0.233) and a request is made for a formula to determine the age of a star based on luminosity and mass.
abyssoft
I've noticed that in past posts mainly in the archive a call for a formulation in the relationship. After much Research I think I may have one that will help Have not had much chance to really test it against available data.

Here it is.
Given R is radius of unknown Ro is radius of sun
Given M is mass of unknown Mo is Mass of Sun
Given L is luminosity of unknown Lo is Luminosity of Sun

R=Ro(L/Lo)^0.233
R=M^0.72

M=(Mo^0.72*(L/Lo)^0.233)^(1/0.72)

Inversely

L=((LoM^0.72)/Mo^0.72)^(1/0.233)

hope this helps

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Since it won't let me edit ?

Please note that In this case I'm referring to Luminosity in terms of J/s
in addition I am including these constants with this follow up post

Ro=696000000 m

Mo=1.9891 x10^30 kg

Lo=3.846x10^26 W or 1 Sol

Also If you notice any errors please correct them

Edited: ha, Just notice a small probelm when dealing with Abs Mags that are negative will be reworking the formula so that it will use instensity variations to correct for this problem.

Also for sources
http://www.planetdesigner.org.uk/
http://jupiter.phy.umist.ac.uk/~gaf/Courses/Stellar/Notes/mlr.pdf
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2838/cookbook.html

Edited 23:44 MST Jan 22, 2005
Further reworking the formulas looking through various sources Has allowed me to further simplify the equation down to:

L=M^(0.72/0.233)

This has been tested against available data and is an very close approximation and should be adequate for ZAMS, where M is mass of star and L is the resultant luminosity in Sols

Also If anyone Knows of a formula for determining the age of a star based on luminosity and mass please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the mass-luminosity relationship?

The mass-luminosity relationship is a scientific concept that describes the relationship between a star's mass and its luminosity, or brightness. It states that the more massive a star is, the more luminous it will be.

2. How is the mass-luminosity relationship calculated?

The mass-luminosity relationship is calculated using the mass-luminosity exponent, which is a mathematical value that relates a star's mass to its luminosity. This exponent is typically derived from observations of various star systems and can vary depending on the type of star being studied.

3. Why is the mass-luminosity relationship important?

The mass-luminosity relationship is important because it allows scientists to estimate the mass of a star based on its luminosity, or vice versa. This is particularly useful when studying distant stars that cannot be directly measured, as it provides a way to estimate important characteristics about them.

4. What factors influence the mass-luminosity relationship?

The two main factors that influence the mass-luminosity relationship are a star's mass and its composition. The more massive a star is, the more energy it can produce through nuclear fusion, resulting in a higher luminosity. The composition of a star also plays a role, as different elements can affect the rate of fusion and ultimately its brightness.

5. Are there any exceptions to the mass-luminosity relationship?

While the mass-luminosity relationship is a general rule that applies to most stars, there can be exceptions. For example, some stars may have a higher luminosity than expected based on their mass due to their high rate of rotation, which can generate additional energy. Additionally, some stars may have a lower luminosity than expected due to factors such as age or the presence of a companion star.