Evaluating a log by trial and error

In summary, it is appropriate to use words next to equations while evaluating a log and trying different exponents to find the desired result. These strategies and shortcuts are not the only ways to solve problems in math, but they can be helpful in finding the right answer.
priceofcarrot

Hi,

I'm evaluating a log, and I'm wondering how many words I can use. When I'm trying different exponents to narrow in on the exponent that I'm looking for, can I use words next to each equation? For example, "this is not big enough" next to the numbers that aren't close to the number I'm looking for, or "try this:" next to the next number that I'm going to try as an exponent ?

Is that appropriate?

Physics news on Phys.org
priceofcarrot said:
Hi,

I'm evaluating a log, and I'm wondering how many words I can use. When I'm trying different exponents to narrow in on the exponent that I'm looking for, can I use words next to each equation? For example, "this is not big enough" next to the numbers that aren't close to the number I'm looking for, or "try this:" next to the next number that I'm going to try as an exponent ?

Is that appropriate?

Anything is appropriate as long as it helps you compute the right answer. The things you learn in a math class are nothing but strategies and short cuts, they are not, and never will be the only ways to solve such problems.

1. What is the process of evaluating a log by trial and error?

Evaluating a log by trial and error involves repeatedly substituting values into the log expression and adjusting them until the correct value is found.

2. Why is trial and error used to evaluate logs?

Trial and error is used because there is no direct method to calculate the value of a log. By trying different values and adjusting them, we can eventually find the correct answer.

3. What should I do if my trial values are not getting me the correct answer?

If your trial values are not getting you the correct answer, try using a different base for the log. Sometimes, using a base that is easier to work with can lead to a quicker solution.

4. How do I know when I have found the correct answer?

You will know you have found the correct answer when the substitution into the log expression results in the desired value. You can also check your answer by using a calculator to evaluate the log expression.

5. Is trial and error the only method for evaluating logs?

No, trial and error is not the only method for evaluating logs. There are other techniques, such as using logarithm rules and properties, that can also be used to evaluate logs. However, trial and error is a commonly used method when no other methods are applicable.