Why do my pics turn into thumbnails ?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, when you try to post an image that is larger than the forum guidelines, your pics turn into thumbnails. You need to upload the image using the "manage attachments" button, copy the url of the image, and post it between tags.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
why do my pics turn into thumbnails ?

I see lots of posts of images that are bigger than what I try to post, but mine always turn into thumbnails that you have to click on to see full size.

The last one I tried was a JPEG file (".jpg" actually), 800x632 pixels, 67Kb --- all well within the forum guidelines. I just double-checked and I see a post with an image that is 830x700 pixels that posts directly, not as a thumbnail, so I just can't understand why mine turn into thumbnails.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you using the "Manage Attachments" button, or are you using the [noparse][/noparse] tags?

Could you link to a post you made where this happened?

jtbell said:
Are you using the "Manage Attachments" button, or are you using the [noparse][/noparse] tags?

I'm using the "manage attachments"

phinds said:
I'm using the "manage attachments"

Just uploading the attachment isn't enough. You still need to post it in the thread.

When you see the attachment manager, like this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48612&stc=1&d=1340630216

then you should click the link in (3). That will open your image in a new window. This will provide you with the link. You still need to post the link in the thread by using [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE] tags.

here's an example JUST using the "manage attachments"

spider_small.jpg

Here's the same thing but with tags edited in instead of the ATTACH tags (NOTE: I got this by doing "insert image", NOT from just copying the code directly above

[PLAIN]48696

As you can see, I'm not having much luck with this

And by the way, I didn't USE the ATTACH tags specifically, they are just what the "manage attachments" does.

I don't follow your "link in (3)" comment

phinds said:
I don't follow your "link in (3)" comment

In (3), you see AFRO_CIRCUS.jpg, you need to click that. Then it opens the image in a new window. If you copy the link there, then you can enclose it between [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE] tags.

To put it another way: it's a three-stage process.

First, you compose a new post, and attach the image to it. When you post it, you get only the thumbnail.

Second, you display the attachment, and get the URL of the image.

Third, you edit your post, insert the URL, and enclose it in [noparse][/noparse] tags. Now, the post should display the image both inline and as an attachment.

OK, now things have gotten WORSE.

In THIS post, I attempted to post an image using the 3 steps

As in the other post that I started, when I click on the paperclip, it gives me the "manage attachments", wherein I select and then upload my image.

Next, in the thread that I started, subsequently clicking on the paperclip did not go back to the "manage attachments" but rather gave me a list of images (only the one in this case) which I could select to be attached into the post. In THIS post, however, subsequent clicking on the paperclip simply took me back to the "manage attachment" and when I tried to select and upload the image again, it complained (very reasonably) that I had ALREADY uploaded that image in this post. Only problem is, there now seems to be no way whatsoever for me to access the image.

By the way, thanks for the help on this. I assume I'm STILL missing something since, obviously, other people do put images in responses, not just in original posts

GOT IT. OK, I got it to work (see below) by changing the image name AND size. This has GOT to be the most moronic image posting process of any forum I've ever been on. I appreciate the help everyone gave me in getting to it, but MAN, what a ridiculous mess.
attachment.php?attachmentid=48709&stc=1&d=1340896956.jpg

Attachments

• spider4.jpg
    spider4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

phinds said:
I got it to work (see below) by changing the image name AND size.

It's not that complicated for me. Using Firefox under Mac OS:

1. Click the "Manage Attachments" button. Use the "Browse" button to select a file on my computer. Click "Upload" to upload the image. Click "Submit Reply" to post the message.

2. Click on the thumbnail in the posted message, to display the image. Click on the image to display it on its own "page" (Your browser may do this differently). Copy the address from the browser's address bar. Dismiss the image and return to the post.

3. Click "Edit" (the post). Paste the URL of the image, and enclose it in [noparse][/noparse] tags. Or click the "Go Advanced" button, and use the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar. Click "Save Changes".

attachment.php?attachmentid=48713&d=1340907010.jpg

Attachments

• EinsteinHaus.jpg
    EinsteinHaus.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

Why Submit then Edit? Once you upload the image, scroll down and open the attached file (see red arrow) in a new tab.
attachment.php?attachmentid=48722&stc=1&d=1340913481.jpg

Then Submit (or Preview then Submit). No need to Edit.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 346

D'oh! :blushing:

jtbell said:
3. Click "Edit" (the post). Paste the URL of the image, and enclose it in [noparse][/noparse] tags. Or click the "Go Advanced" button, and use the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar. Click "Save Changes".

Does it not strike you as absurd to have to DO that?

On other forums, you go do "manage attachments", click on "select file", do the file select, click on "upload" and then click on "insert" and you're done. This whole business of having to figure out the URL of the image is just silly.

Well, you could just leave it as an attachment and let whoever is reading your post open it. That way the whole business of having to figure out the URL becomes moot. :devil:

What causes my pictures to turn into thumbnails?

There are a few potential reasons why your pictures may be turning into thumbnails. One common reason is that the file size of your pictures is too large, causing them to automatically be compressed into smaller thumbnail versions. Another possibility is that the program or device you are using to view the pictures has a default setting to display thumbnails instead of the full-sized images. Finally, if you are uploading the pictures to a website or social media platform, it is possible that the site is automatically creating thumbnail versions for faster loading times.

How can I prevent my pictures from turning into thumbnails?

If you want to avoid having your pictures turn into thumbnails, there are a few steps you can take. First, make sure to resize your pictures to a smaller file size before uploading them to a website or social media platform. You can also adjust the default settings on your device or program to display the full-sized images instead of thumbnails. Lastly, you can also try uploading your pictures to a different website or platform that may not automatically create thumbnails.

Can I change my thumbnails back into full-sized images?

In most cases, if your pictures have been compressed into thumbnails, you will not be able to change them back into full-sized images. However, if you still have the original, full-sized images saved on your device, you can replace the thumbnails with the full-sized versions by re-uploading them to the website or platform where they were compressed.

Why are thumbnails smaller than the original images?

Thumbnails are smaller versions of the original images that are used to provide a preview or quick reference to the full-sized image. They are typically compressed and lower in quality to allow for faster loading times and take up less storage space. This makes them ideal for websites and social media platforms where multiple images need to be displayed at once.

Are thumbnails always lower in quality than the original images?

Yes, thumbnails are typically lower in quality than the original images. This is because they are compressed versions of the original and are designed to be smaller in size for faster loading times. However, the exact quality of thumbnails can vary depending on the settings and compression used by the program or device creating them.