Does this star contain hydrogen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of hydrogen and He+ in a star and how to determine their presence through spectral lines using diagrams and calculations. It is mentioned that absorption at certain wavelengths can indicate the presence of hydrogen, but some lines may be too weak to see. The same method can be used for He+ but with one difference. There is no maximum number of energy levels, but as the lines get higher, the intensity may become too weak to discern from the graph.
physicsss
Does this star contain He+?
Justify your answer with diagrams and calculations.

If I find the wavelengths of Hydrogen, can I go to the graph and check if there's any intensity at these wavelengths? Do all of the wavelengths have to exist for hydrogen to be present?

As for He+, I have no idea how to do that.

Any suggestions as to what kind of diagrams I might need and calculations?

Oh, and how many energy levels do I need to go up to? Is the max for Hydrogen n=6? What about Helium?

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
physicsss said:
Does this star contain He+?
Justify your answer with diagrams and calculations.

If I find the wavelengths of Hydrogen, can I go to the graph and check if there's any intensity at these wavelengths? Do all of the wavelengths have to exist for hydrogen to be present?
You want to ne looking for absorption at those wavelengths.Some lines will be weaker than others. The very short wavelengths might be too weak to see.

As for He+, I have no idea how to do that.
The same formula for finding the spectral lines of H will work for He+ (single electron system) as well. There's only one difference to keep in mind...

Oh, and how many energy levels do I need to go up to? Is the max for Hydrogen n=6? What about Helium?
There is no max. But as you go to higher and higher lines, you intensity will get weaker, till it's hard to discern from the graph. Match as many as you can make out clearly.

Based on the spectral analysis of this star, it is likely that it contains both hydrogen and helium ions. The presence of hydrogen can be determined by looking at the spectral lines in the star's spectrum. Hydrogen has specific wavelengths of light that it emits, known as the Balmer series. By comparing the observed wavelengths in the star's spectrum to the known wavelengths of the Balmer series, we can determine if hydrogen is present. The diagram below shows the Balmer series for hydrogen, with the observed wavelengths marked in red.

![Hydrogen Balmer series diagram](https://i.imgur.com/6z7dFJ0.png)

If we observe any of these red lines in the star's spectrum, then we can conclude that hydrogen is present.

As for He+, we can use a similar method to determine its presence in the star. Helium also has specific wavelengths of light that it emits, known as the Paschen series. By comparing the observed wavelengths in the star's spectrum to the known wavelengths of the Paschen series, we can determine if He+ is present. The diagram below shows the Paschen series for helium, with the observed wavelengths marked in red.

![Helium Paschen series diagram](https://i.imgur.com/0g6jg6K.png)

If we observe any of these red lines in the star's spectrum, then we can conclude that He+ is present.

In terms of calculations, we can use the Rydberg formula to calculate the wavelengths of each series. For the Balmer series of hydrogen, the formula is:

1/λ = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2)

where λ is the wavelength, R is the Rydberg constant (1.097 x 10^-7 m^-1), and n1 and n2 are the energy levels. For the Paschen series of helium, the formula is:

1/λ = R(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2)

where n1 is always 3 and n2 is the energy level we are calculating for.

The maximum energy level for hydrogen is n=6, so we can check for the presence of hydrogen up to that level. For helium, the maximum energy level is n=8, so we can check for the presence of He+ up to that level.

In conclusion, based on the spectral analysis and calculations, it is likely that this star contains both hydrogen and He+

1. What is hydrogen and why is it important in stars?

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and is the main component of stars. It is important because it fuels the nuclear fusion reactions that power stars and release energy in the form of light and heat.

2. How can we determine if a star contains hydrogen?

Scientists can use spectroscopy to analyze the light emitted by a star and determine the elements present in its atmosphere. Hydrogen produces distinct spectral lines that can be detected and used to confirm its presence in a star.

3. Are all stars made up of mostly hydrogen?

Yes, the vast majority of stars in the universe are primarily made up of hydrogen. This is because hydrogen is the lightest and most abundant element, making up about 75% of all matter in the universe.

4. Can a star run out of hydrogen?

Yes, as a star ages, it will eventually use up all of its hydrogen fuel and begin fusing heavier elements. This usually happens after billions of years, depending on the size and type of the star.

5. What happens to a star when it runs out of hydrogen?

When a star runs out of hydrogen fuel, it will begin to expand and cool, becoming a red giant or supergiant. Eventually, it will either collapse into a white dwarf or explode in a supernova, depending on its size.