Chlorine and Hydrogen Bonding: Examining the Strength and Nature of Interactions

In summary, chlorine does not form hydrogen bonds with other molecules due to its size and low electron density. It may participate in weak O-H...Cl hydrogen bonds in some cases, but these are not as strong as hydrogen bonds with N, O, or F. Therefore, Hydrogen Chloride cannot form through hydrogen bonding.
member 392791
Does chlorine make a hydrogen bond? I was doing a practice problem in my book and the question was regarding the intermolecular forces, and the compound had chlorine and it said no, but my professor said it does. Which is true?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If it doesn't, could Hydrogen Chloride form?

Drakkith said:
If it doesn't, could Hydrogen Chloride form?

That's a covalent bond between hydrogen and chlorine, not a hydrogen bond. Hydrogen bonds are a form of weak noncovalent bonding acting between molecules that contain O-H, N-H and F-H groups where the hydrogen is partially ionized.

Now whether chlorine participates in hydrogen bonding is something I don't know but I'll personally say "no".

There is not a Cl–H...X bond. (X = N, O, or F)
There might be some evidence for weak O–H...Cl hydrogen bonds in some cases.

Last edited:
The electronegativity of Nitrogen and Chlorine are almost same, and Nitrogen makes H-Bond, so yes, Chlorine also makes bond.

But the thing is that due to the size of chlorine, the electron density, which is required on chlorine for dipole-dipole attraction between partial positive H atom and partial negative Cl atom, is low, therefore, these "hydrogen" bonds are not strong enough to be comparable with Hydrogen bonds with N, O & F.

1. What is the chemical formula for chlorine?

The chemical formula for chlorine is Cl2, which means it is made up of two atoms of chlorine bonded together.

2. How does chlorine form hydrogen bonds?

Chlorine does not typically form hydrogen bonds on its own. However, it can participate in hydrogen bonding when it is attached to a highly electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen.

3. What is the role of chlorine in hydrogen bonding?

Chlorine is a highly electronegative element, meaning it has a strong attraction to electrons. In hydrogen bonding, chlorine can attract the shared electrons in a hydrogen atom, creating a partial positive charge on the hydrogen and allowing it to form a bond with another electronegative atom.

4. How does hydrogen bonding between chlorine and other atoms affect the properties of a molecule?

Hydrogen bonding between chlorine and other atoms can greatly impact a molecule's physical and chemical properties. It can increase the molecule's boiling point, solubility, and surface tension, among other things.

5. Can chlorine form hydrogen bonds with itself?

No, chlorine cannot form hydrogen bonds with itself because it does not have a hydrogen atom attached to it. Hydrogen bonding requires a hydrogen atom bonded to a highly electronegative atom.