Aerospace Engineering: Is It Really the Hardest Engineering Major?

• Thread starter TechFlyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, the speaker is considering switching their major from applied physics to Aerospace engineering and is wondering how difficult it will be. They are good at calculus and physics and are curious about the role of chemistry in AE. The conversation also mentions that AE is one of the harder engineering majors, but the specific courses required for junior and senior years seem manageable due to their focus on applied differential equations and physics.
TechFlyer
Aerospace...what to expect??

Im thinking of switching my major from applied physics to Aerospace eng... I am really good at calculus and fairly good with physics. Is Aersopace going to be ridiculously hard, or just as hard as anything else compared to how much studying you put forth? And how much is chemistry used throughout AE? Appreciate any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hardest major among all engineering fields is Chemical Engineering, then EE, then ME/AE, then Civil, etc. I went over the books used in junior and senior years for AE - propulsion, aircraft controls, etc - and they seem hard but if you take into account that its mostly applied differential equations for fluid mechanics class, partial differential equation for dynamics, physics1 for statics - its not really that complicated.

As an aerospace engineering graduate, I can confidently say that aerospace engineering is definitely a challenging major. However, I wouldn't say it's necessarily the hardest engineering major. Every engineering discipline has its own unique challenges and requires a lot of dedication and hard work.

One of the biggest challenges in aerospace engineering is the integration of various engineering principles, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science, to design and develop aircraft and spacecraft systems. This requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, which you seem to have.

In terms of difficulty, I would say that aerospace engineering is on par with other engineering majors. It ultimately depends on your interest and aptitude for the subject. If you have a passion for aerospace and are willing to put in the effort, you will find the coursework manageable.

As for the use of chemistry in aerospace engineering, it is not a major component. However, a basic understanding of chemistry is important for materials selection and understanding the behavior of fluids in aerospace systems.

If you are considering switching to aerospace engineering, I would recommend talking to current students and professors to get a better understanding of the coursework and career opportunities in the field. It's also important to keep in mind that any engineering major requires a significant amount of studying and dedication, but it can also be a rewarding and exciting field to be a part of. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and aeronautical engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a broader field that includes both aeronautical engineering and astronautical engineering. Aeronautical engineering focuses on designing and developing aircraft, while astronautical engineering deals with spacecraft and space-related technologies.

2. What skills are important for a career in aerospace?

Some important skills for a career in aerospace include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, technical and mathematical proficiency, and the ability to work well in a team. Communication and project management skills are also valuable in this field.

3. What industries can I work in with a degree in aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineers can work in a variety of industries, including commercial airlines, defense contractors, space exploration companies, and government agencies. They may also find opportunities in fields such as automotive or renewable energy, where their skills in design, analysis, and problem-solving are valuable.

4. What is the job outlook for aerospace engineers?

The job outlook for aerospace engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% from 2019 to 2029. This is on par with the average growth rate for all occupations. The demand for aerospace engineers is driven by the need for new, more efficient aircraft and spacecraft, as well as advancements in technology.

5. What are some current challenges in the aerospace industry?

One of the main challenges in the aerospace industry is developing sustainable and environmentally friendly technologies. This includes reducing emissions from aircraft, finding alternative fuels, and improving the end-of-life disposal of spacecraft. Another challenge is keeping up with rapidly advancing technologies, such as artificial intelligence and automation, while also ensuring the safety and reliability of aerospace systems.