Polymer with low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance

In summary, the individual is an engineering student who is seeking advice on building a solar heating system using a drum with two layers. The inner layer is a metal water container and the outer layer is made of polymer with an air gap in-between. They are questioning the effectiveness of the polymer as it may degrade in the sun. The person giving advice suggests using solar grade glass instead, as it is more thermally robust and does not degrade in sunlight. They also suggest using pipes instead of a large drum, as it is cheaper and provides more surface area for heat transfer. They have seen designs with just a row of pipes inside an evacuated glass box.
Syryanyang
I'm an engineer student and I'm trying to build such a solar heating system that it is drum with two layers, inner one is a metal (aluminium alloy I'm thinking) water container and outer layer is made of polymer, with air gap in-between. When suns come out, it radiates through the polymer and on the metal layer, heats up the water inside. The air gap severs as an insulation. Could someone with more experience give me some advice on whether this will work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Syryanyang said:
I'm an engineer student and I'm trying to build such a solar heating system that it is drum with two layers, inner one is a metal (aluminium alloy I'm thinking) water container and outer layer is made of polymer, with air gap in-between. When suns come out, it radiates through the polymer and on the metal layer, heats up the water inside. The air gap severs as an insulation. Could someone with more experience give me some advice on whether this will work?

why put polymer on the outside? the most common cause of environmental polymer degradation is UV radiation oxidizing the polymer chain ends which then become highly reactive. typically they become brittle and discolored.

if you want an outer covering to prevent convection from carrying away too much heat the best thing to do is commercial solar grade glass since it is thermally robust, doesn't degrade to sunlight and is pretty cheap. also don't take my word for it but i believe its much easier to use pipes instead of one big drum of equal volume since its cheaper to buy pipe than to buy a big steel tank, there's more surface area for radiative heat transfer, and i don't think the extra convective surface would matter with the glass covering.

i've seen some solar heater designs that are just a row of pipes inside an evacuated glass box.

1. How does a polymer with low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance differ from other polymers?

A polymer with low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance is able to withstand high temperatures without melting or degrading, but is less resistant to the damaging effects of UV rays from the sun. This makes it suitable for use in applications where high heat is a concern, but exposure to sunlight is limited.

2. What types of industries or applications would benefit from using a polymer with low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance?

Industries such as automotive, aerospace, and electronics would benefit from using a polymer with low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance. It can also be used in building materials, such as roofing or insulation, to withstand high temperatures without being damaged.

3. How is the heat resistance of a polymer with low solar radiation resistance tested?

The heat resistance of a polymer with low solar radiation resistance is typically tested by subjecting it to high temperatures in a controlled environment and measuring its performance and stability. This can include tests such as heat aging or thermal cycling.

4. Are there any downsides to using a polymer with low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance?

One potential downside is that it may not be suitable for outdoor applications where prolonged exposure to sunlight is expected. Additionally, the process of creating a polymer with these specific properties may be more complex and costly, leading to higher production costs.

5. Can a polymer with low solar radiation resistance, high heat resistance be modified to improve its UV resistance?

Yes, additives and coatings can be incorporated into the polymer to improve its UV resistance. These modifications can help protect the polymer from the damaging effects of sunlight and increase its overall durability.