Building a Battery for a Shoebox-Sized Vehicle

In summary: However, if you need more power you might want to consider using Li-ion cells. They are more powerful than lead acid and last much longer.In summary, Farina suggests building a battery using cells from a commercial non-rechargeable battery, or using Li-ion cells if you need more power.
Farina
Hi Everyone,

I need to build a battery for a shoebox-sized vehicle.

I'm still collecting requirements, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions beyond a potato battery ;^)

Farina

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you call "build" a battery?

Buy cells, assemble them into a battery, that's feasible.

Build the cells themselves is very hard. With limited resources and knowledge, you can't make a decent cell. Only obtain very bad power density, energy density and shelf life.

This is a science project. Yes, I'm aware that the battery I build won't compare to a store-bought battery. This is a wet-chemistry project. Clearly it's possible to build a battery. My question is how to build the best possible DIY battery.

I suggest you do some research on the chemistry of commercial non-rechargeable cells that have been used over the last 100 years or so, and then build your own version of one of them. Choose a type that doesn't need complicated manufacturing techniques, and doesn't use materials that are too hazardous - no heavy metals especially lead or mercury, no strong acids or alkalis, etc.

What about a daniel cell?

Zinc or manganese, possibly alkaline (=caustic, depends on how easy you're with chemistry safety), with carbon and manganese dioxide as a depolarizer (no performance without a depolarizer). The purity of the consumed metal defines its shelf life; you could fill the electrolyte at last moment.

Put many thin electrodes in parallel to get more short-time power.

Farina said:
Hi Everyone,

I need to build a battery for a shoebox-sized vehicle.

I'm still collecting requirements, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions beyond a potato battery ;^)

Farina

How much power do you need? It sounds to me like you need at least ten watts.

If you don't need much power you could just use dissimilar metals in an acid bath, in series for more voltage or in parallel for more current, however many you need. You would just need to keep the cells separate from each other but you could use a common vat of acid. Almost any dissimilar metal set would work, copper and aluminum, iron and zinc, some combo like that.

Last edited:

1. How do batteries work?

Batteries work by converting chemical energy into electrical energy. This is done through a chemical reaction that occurs between the battery's electrodes and electrolyte solution.

2. What materials are needed to build a battery?

The materials needed to build a battery include electrodes (usually made of metals such as zinc and copper), an electrolyte solution (usually an acid or base), and a separator (often made of paper or plastic).

3. Can I build a battery at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a simple battery at home using common household items such as coins, paper towels, and vinegar. However, for a more efficient and durable battery, specialized materials and equipment are needed.

4. How long does it take to build a battery?

The time it takes to build a battery can vary depending on the type and complexity of the battery. Simple batteries can be built in a matter of minutes, while more advanced batteries may take several hours or even days to construct.

5. Why do we need batteries?

Batteries are essential for many everyday devices such as cell phones, laptops, and cars. They provide a portable and convenient source of power, allowing us to use these devices without being connected to a power outlet. They also play a crucial role in renewable energy systems by storing energy generated from sources such as solar panels or wind turbines.