Home Wiring Questions: Hot, Neutral, Ground Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage and current flow in a 120VAC circuit between hot, neutral, and ground. It is mentioned that there should be voltage between hot and neutral as well as between hot and ground, but there is no voltage between neutral and ground. It is also clarified that current can flow in both directions between hot and neutral in an AC circuit. It is noted that the neutral and ground are connected at the panel, which allows current to flow from hot to ground.
hardworker
There is supposed to be 120VAC between hot and neutral as well as between hot and ground. Why is there no voltage between neutral and ground though? Why does current only flow from hot to neutral and not neutral to hot? Is neutral grounded?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you think current does not flow from neutral to hot? It IS AC remember. Current can flow between hot and ground because ground and neutral are tied together at the service entrance. Do a search, this sort of thing has been discussed MANY times on this forum.

...but yes, the neutral and ground are connected at the panel.

1. What is the difference between hot, neutral, and ground voltage in home wiring?

Hot voltage refers to the live wire that carries the current from the power source to the electrical device. Neutral voltage is the return path for the current and typically has a lower voltage compared to the hot wire. Ground voltage is a safety measure that provides a path for excess current to flow to the earth, preventing electric shock.

2. How do I identify the hot, neutral, and ground wires in my home wiring?

The hot wire is typically black or red in color, while the neutral wire is white. The ground wire is usually green or bare copper. However, it is important to always use a voltage tester to confirm the wires before working with them.

3. Can I touch the hot, neutral, or ground wires in my home wiring?

No, it is not safe to touch any wires in your home wiring without proper training and protective gear. The hot wire carries high levels of electricity and can cause severe electric shock. Always turn off the power and use caution when working with home wiring.

4. What should I do if I encounter voltage issues with my home wiring?

If you notice issues with hot, neutral, or ground voltage in your home wiring, it is important to contact a licensed electrician. They have the knowledge and equipment to safely diagnose and fix any voltage issues in your home.

5. Is it normal for there to be a voltage difference between hot, neutral, and ground wires?

Yes, it is normal for there to be a voltage difference between these wires. The hot wire carries the highest voltage, while the neutral and ground wires have lower voltages. However, if you notice a significant difference in voltage, it may indicate a problem with your wiring and should be checked by a professional.