General Enginnering Problem Dealing with Voltage Supply

In summary, the voltage supply is supplying 5V to the PIC Board, but when connecting it to the board, the voltage reading drops to 4.3 volts and the current cutoffs are activated. It is possible that there is a short circuit with the board.
McAfee
Hello,

So I'm facing some difficulties. I'm using a DC voltage supply and connecting it to a PIC Board. The AC adapter that comes with the board outputs 9V DC. To be safe I'm just using 5V from the DC voltage supply. When I connect it to the board the reading from the voltage supply drops to 4.3 volts and the current cutoffs too. Does this means that there is a short circuit with the board?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, why don't you want to use the AC adapter provided? If the adapter works, why lower the voltage?

It could well be there are regulator inside the board to get 5V and it needs 9V to do that. Current drops off might means that you don't have enough voltage to even turn on the circuit and not drawing current. You don't have enough info for people to judge. But the most important question is why do you want to change something that is designed to work with and work?

When I connect it to the board the reading from the voltage supply drops to 4.3 volts and the current cutoffs too.

well you'd need to have an idea what is capacity of the supply, and what is demanded by the board. Capacity of supply will be written on it.

Be aware that some power supplies, especially those meant for charging batteries, provide unfiltered DC and will drop their voltage when loaded. Also they'd be not good for the electronice on your board.
To see if you have one of those, connect it(without the board) to your voltmater and select AC. If you read more than a couple tenths of a volt it is poorly filtered(if at all) so you probably need a different supply.
To verify, select meter to DC and note reading, then unplug supply. If voltage drops immediately it is unfiltered, if it takes a second or two to bleed down then it IS filtered.
So study both your supply and the manual that came with yuor board.

Ok Thanks guys. I'm going to try this in the lab room tomorrow and will reply with my results. Once again, Thanks.

for reaching out about your issue with the voltage supply and PIC board. It sounds like you may be experiencing a short circuit or some other issue with the board that is causing the voltage to drop and the current to cutoff. I would recommend checking all of your connections and ensuring that there are no loose or damaged components on the board. It is also possible that the board itself may be faulty and may need to be replaced. If the issue persists, I would suggest consulting with an electrical engineer or contacting the manufacturer for further assistance in troubleshooting the problem.

1. What is the purpose of voltage supply in engineering?

Voltage supply is essential in engineering as it provides the necessary electrical energy for various systems and components to function. It is responsible for powering devices and ensuring they operate within their specified voltage range.

2. How is voltage supply measured in engineering?

Voltage supply is measured in volts (V), which is the unit of electrical potential difference. It represents the amount of electrical energy available for use in a circuit.

3. What are the common problems encountered with voltage supply in engineering?

Some common problems with voltage supply include voltage drops, voltage fluctuations, and voltage surges. These issues can cause damage to equipment, affect performance, and lead to system failures.

4. How can engineers deal with voltage supply issues?

Engineers can deal with voltage supply issues by implementing proper voltage regulation and protection measures. This can include the use of voltage regulators, surge protectors, and proper grounding techniques.

5. How do engineers ensure a stable voltage supply in their designs?

Engineers ensure a stable voltage supply by carefully analyzing the power requirements of their designs and selecting appropriate power sources and components. They also conduct thorough testing and monitoring to ensure the voltage supply remains within the specified range.