Coffee. Yes coffee. Do you really feel a difference ?

In summary, people feel different after drinking coffee. Some people feel more awake and others feel more sleepy.

Do you feel a difference after drinking coffee/tea- caffeine

• Total voters
Evo said:
I wonder what it is about us that gives us an overall high tolerance against sedatives and stimulants?
You can have a genetic variation that makes you less susceptible to the effect of certain classes of anesthetic. Some people have the opposite and are hypersensitive, which can be very dangerous. It advocates for personalized medicine, based on genetic information.

Oh, and watch your intake of grapefruit juice.
http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm292276.htm

And consider joining a study, these doctors don't know what's going on:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407787

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I drink a fair amount of coffee, black and with little sugar. I've become somewhat of a "coffee snob".

I find that if I slowly sip one large cup of black coffee, the effect isn't all that strong. On busy days, or when I need to combat sleepiness, I need to drink a cup quickly, and after sip another cup of coffee to keep caffeine levels high.

But yeah, I love coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/OTVE5iPMKLg

When I was still teaching, as soon as I arrived I would go down to the faculty room to get a cup of coffee. One morning, as I was leaving my office, coffee cup in hand, one of my students stopped for help. After a few minutes, she was asking me to please go get my coffee!
(Which reminds me- I need to go set up my coffee pot so it will be ready in the morning.)

Caffeine takes ~30 minutes to get into your system so you shouldn't feel it for a bit. Coffee is too low on caffeine for me, I just take caffeine pills. I could drink 5 cups of coffee and not feel anything, it all depends on your tolerance/familiarity with caffeine.

A difference, yes, but a small one. I think that's mainly due to my morning-person personality, though. If I'm really tired and have some, it does work. I've never been able to tell wether it keeps me up, because I usually go by the rule of no coffee less than four hours before bed. The other night, though, I had one five or six hours before, and it took a while to get to sleep, but that may be due to other factors.

Absolutely. You feel less tired.

For me, it doesn't seem to have much effect. I don't feel a buzz feeling or anything, atleast from 1 cup, which I drank occasionally. For me it's just something hot to drink when it's cold outside. I actually like the taste of it without addition of milk or sugar.

I need to SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPE! :cry:

fluidistic said:
Instead of pointlessly debating whether caffeine affects our body (which it does of course), I want to know whether you really "feel a difference" when you drink coffee.
Does it prevent you from sleeping?
Can you stay concentrated on your studies for a longer time/and or later at night?

I really love coffee for its taste, I drink 1 strong and big coffee (about 350 ml) per day at least, yet I feel absolutely nothing.
I don't feel it perturbs my sleep or make it touger to reach. It takes me generally over 2 hours of laying in my bed before I get to find sleep, no matter if I drink a coffee just before sleeping.
I don't feel it helps me to keep concentrated for a longer time when I study, etc.
I know my heart beat is very likely faster after drinking a coffee but apparently that's not something I can notice, unless of course if I'd measure it with a chronometer.

On the other hand I can feel a difference if I drink a 200 ml glass of beer at 4% alcohol.

I don't find that coffee helps to wake me up in the morning any faster than without it, but I enjoy the taste as part of my breakfast.

I find it's biggest effect on me is that if I drink it after 5pm i'll struggle to sleep. It keeps me up later, but does not help me to concentrate for longer. Also, I can become shaky if I have more than 2 cups too close together.

I've always drank a fair amount of caffeine, and never noticed any physical effects. I'm assuming this is because my body is so tolerant to it. In the morning I normally drink a cup and light my first my cig(best cig of the day!) and go about my routine. I mostly only drink coffee, so it doesn't effect my sleep at all.

When I go to the gym, I tried the jacked stuff for a little bit, expecting it to not really do much. Whatever they put in there is far more than caffeine, cause I could stay up for days on that stuff.

It depends. Sometimes I'll deliberately have a two or three large mugs of coffee if I need to stay alert for some reason, but in those cases I'm not happy with the way my head feels. I can function fine, it's just vaguely unpleasant to feel that way.
On the other hand, although I don't make a habit of it, I can drink a cup of coffee and very shortly thereafter go to sleep, no problem.

I never drink any kind of caffinated beverages - soda, tea, coffee, energy drinks etc...

Whenever, on very rare occasion, I do drink one of these things they have zero noticable affect on me. I would think I should be especially sensitive to the caffeine seeing how little of it I have, but it seems to do nothing for me either way.