Function of an Ionic hair dryer.

In summary, ionic hair dryers claim to use ions to reduce static and improve hair health. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims and it is likely just a marketing gimmick. Negative ions are simply electrons and would cause a buildup of static electricity. Some models can be purchased for a reasonable price, but it is recommended to test it out before investing in one. Furthermore, there is no evidence that these ions affect the structure of water clusters. Overall, it is likely just a passing fad and should not be believed.
jackiecarty
I recently heard of these ionic hair dryers. 1. what do they create ions of? how? if it is of hydrogen how does that not become hydrogen peroxide when it comes in contact with the water on hair? there is a new one with a digital reading how can it determine how many ions it produces? they have great claims of reduce ing static? I'm honestly skeptical of the whole thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably right to be skeptical. The whole thing sounds like nonsense. I've seen multiple products that say they use ions to "improve health", "remove toxins", and other baloney. Negative ions are simply electrons, and a buildup of negative ions would result in a huge amount of static electricity. I assume that either these ions are immediately neutralized by the overwhelming amount of other particles all around us, many of which would love these electrons, or people would be noticing large amounts of static electricity in their hair.

I did a quick search and found the following article on the subject.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5084886_pros-cons-ionic-hair-dryer.html

Per the article:

There's no hard scientific research to prove whether ionic hair dryers work better than those that use traditional technology other than anecdotal evidence. If you're curious about this dryer, some models, such as those used by the Good Housekeeping Institute, can be purchased for a reasonable sum. If you're nervous about parting company with your money for what might be a passing fad, test a friend's ionic blow dryer using your regular styling routine and check out the results.

Furthermore, the following link pretty much destroys any product claiming that the negative ions affect the structure of water clusters.
http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html

In short, it's crap. Don't believe it.

1. What is the difference between an ionic hair dryer and a regular hair dryer?

An ionic hair dryer uses negatively charged ions to break down water molecules on the hair, resulting in faster drying time and less damage. Regular hair dryers do not have this technology and can cause frizz and damage to hair.

2. How does an ionic hair dryer work?

An ionic hair dryer has a built-in ion generator that releases negatively charged ions onto the hair. These ions break down the positively charged water molecules on the hair, resulting in faster evaporation and less heat damage.

3. Can an ionic hair dryer help with frizzy hair?

Yes, an ionic hair dryer can help with frizzy hair. The negatively charged ions neutralize the positively charged ions that cause frizz, resulting in smoother and less frizzy hair.

4. Are ionic hair dryers safe to use?

Yes, ionic hair dryers are safe to use. They use less heat and produce less electromagnetic radiation compared to regular hair dryers, making them a safer option for hair drying.

5. Do I need to use special products with an ionic hair dryer?

No, you do not need to use special products with an ionic hair dryer. However, using a heat protectant spray can provide additional protection for your hair.