Solving Oxygen Contamination in a Glove Box with Clathrates

In summary, the speaker is working with clathrate compounds in a glove box filled with Argon. However, there is always a small amount of oxygen present, which leads to the formation of an oxide layer on the clathrates. The speaker is seeking suggestions on how to avoid this issue in order to obtain pure clathrates for accurate thermodynamic data measurements. One suggestion is to introduce chemicals that can absorb or bind the remaining oxygen, such as heated Ti or Zr metal or cracked ammonia. Another option is to use an "oxygen getter," which can be found through a Google search.
AWood16
I'm working with clathrate compounds in a glove box filled with Argon. My problem is that there always remains a small amount of oxygen in the glove box even after multiple purges. This oxygen binds and makes an oxide layer on my clathrates. I don't know how to avoid this and am trying to find some suggestions. My goal is to achieve a pure clathrate to measure thermodynamic data with and this oxide layer throws all my data off. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is a pumping problem, have you tried introducing chemicals to absorb or adsorb the remaining oxygen after the argon is sealed in?

How much oxygen, or rather what is the level of oxygen in the Ar atmosphere. In such cases, one might use a chemical reaction to bind the oxygen, e.g., a getter such as a heated Ti or Zr metal in the form of a mesh, or one could use cracked ammonia for a reducing atmosphere, but hydrogen is flammable or explosive.

I understand the frustration of dealing with oxygen contamination in a glove box, especially when working with sensitive compounds like clathrates. One potential solution to this problem could be to use a more efficient purging method, such as using a vacuum pump to remove all traces of oxygen from the glove box before introducing the clathrates. Additionally, you could try using a different inert gas, such as nitrogen, which has a lower oxygen content compared to argon. Another approach could be to use a gas purification system, which can remove impurities like oxygen from the gas supply before it enters the glove box. It may also be helpful to regularly monitor the oxygen levels in the glove box and adjust the purging frequency accordingly. I would also recommend consulting with other experts in the field or conducting further research on techniques for removing oxygen in glove boxes. With determination and the right strategies, I am confident that you will be able to achieve your goal of obtaining pure clathrates for accurate thermodynamic measurements.

1. What are clathrates and how do they solve oxygen contamination in a glove box?

Clathrates are compounds made up of a lattice of molecules that trap other molecules, such as oxygen, within their structure. When placed in a glove box, these compounds can act as a physical barrier, preventing oxygen from entering and contaminating the air inside.

2. How do you know if your glove box is contaminated with oxygen?

One way to determine if your glove box is contaminated is by using a gas analyzer to measure the levels of oxygen present. Any reading higher than the desired level of less than 1 ppm indicates contamination. Additionally, an oxygen sensor can be installed inside the glove box to continuously monitor and alert for any increases in oxygen levels.

3. What are the benefits of using clathrates to solve oxygen contamination in a glove box?

Using clathrates can provide a cost-effective and efficient solution to oxygen contamination in a glove box. They do not require any special equipment or maintenance, and can be easily replaced when needed. Additionally, clathrates do not produce any harmful byproducts, making them a safe option for use in a laboratory setting.

4. Can clathrates be used to solve other types of contamination in a glove box?

Yes, clathrates can also be used to trap other types of contaminants, such as moisture or volatile organic compounds (VOCs), in a glove box. This makes them a versatile solution for maintaining a clean and controlled environment in the glove box.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using clathrates in a glove box?

One potential drawback is that clathrates may not be effective in completely eliminating all oxygen contamination in a glove box. They can also be affected by changes in temperature and pressure, which may impact their effectiveness over time. It is important to regularly monitor and replace the clathrates to ensure proper functioning of the glove box.