It Works Greens: 8+ Servings of Fruits & Veggies in 10 Calories?

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary: ...you can divide the juice evenly among 3 glasses....you can also divide the vegetables among 3 plates....you can also divide the juice and vegetables among 4 glasses....you can also divide the juice and vegetables among 4 plates.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
Did a quick search and didn't see this one. A friend recommended this product to me because she was concerned that I wasn't getting enough fruits and vegetables. When I asked a few questions (how it worked, what the ingredients were, etc.) she became defensive and basically said I was being a jerk. Once again, Flex fails with a girl.

Anyway, here's the product: https://static.myitworks.com/PublicFacing/productinformationsheetenhancedgreensorangeusl.pdf

Some claims that don't quite compute for me are:

• the "8+ servings of fruit and vegetables" - is it 8 servings of each? 3 of one and 5 of the other?
  • the "10 calorie" claim - what "serving" contains only 1.25 calories?
  • obligatory use of "detox", "antioxidant", and "pH balance" - often associated with woowoo products
  • specifically says it's not a replacement for fruits and vegetables - so what's the point of the product? If it contains 8+ servings of fruits and vegetables, then why do you still need to eat fruits and vegetables? Surely that's what a "serving" is meant to convey.

I haven't found it listed as a scam. Am I wrong? Is this a viable nutritional replacement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just eat your fruits and vegetables and forget crap like this.

phinds said:
Just eat your fruits and vegetables and forget crap like this.

Well, fair enough... but I always think to myself "there must be something here." If you have a "Serving" of vegetables, doesn't that imply a general number of macronutrients and calories? If a serving is measured as a specific amount of potassium, then they might be making a perfectly legitimate claim, right?

FlexGunship said:
Well, fair enough... but I always think to myself "there must be something here." If you have a "Serving" of vegetables, doesn't that imply a general number of macronutrients and calories? If a serving is measured as a specific amount of potassium, then they might be making a perfectly legitimate claim, right?

It's possible, but several doctors have told me that nutritional supplements and/or replacements just don't product the chemicals in the way that our bodies are best suited to digest them and make use of them. Natural foods do. Eating X grams of something raw does NOT mean that you body will get the same use out of it as you would if you at a natural food with the same amount.

phinds said:
It's possible, but several doctors have told me that nutritional supplements and/or replacements just don't product the chemicals in the way that our bodies are best suited to digest them and make use of them. Natural foods do. Eating X grams of something raw does NOT mean that you body will get the same use out of it as you would if you at a natural food with the same amount.

What would vegetables look like if you just removed the water? Surely water doesn't really add or subtract from the nutritional value (beyond standard hydration).

What if you then chemically extracted all of the fat, protein, and carbohydrates? Yes, there are many types of these macronutrients, but from a 20,000ft view you can imagine getting these from other parts of your normal diet (meat and grains).

What you're left with is a pile of vegetable matter that's dry and contains almost no calories.

Could this be what this product is?

FlexGunship said:
What if you then chemically extracted all of the fat, protein, and carbohydrates?
You could also be removing the ingredients that make the food beneficial. We honestly do not know enough about how our bodies use everything we eat in combination.

Evo said:
You could also be removing the ingredients that make the food beneficial. We honestly do not know enough about how our bodies use everything we eat in combination.

Sure. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate. My friend believes in this product. I don't know why, though.

I think what gets me if the boldness of a claim like "contains 8+ servings of fruits and vegetables." Surely there's something behind this statement. Given that this product contains 10 calories, what constitutes a "serving" or vegetables?

FlexGunship said:
Sure. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate. My friend believes in this product. I don't know why, though.

I think what gets me if the boldness of a claim like "contains 8+ servings of fruits and vegetables." Surely there's something behind this statement. Given that this product contains 10 calories, what constitutes a "serving" or vegetables?
The FDA has guidelines that dictate what a "serving" is.

See box 8

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2000/document/build.htm

Evo said:
The FDA has guidelines that dictate what a "serving" is.

See box 8

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2000/document/build.htm

Box 8 really only gives examples... it doesn't tell you how to determine what a serving is on your own.

FlexGunship said:
Box 8 really only gives examples... it doesn't tell you how to determine what a serving is on your own.
It tells you exactly what a serving is in US measurements. What do you think a "serving" is?

Vegetable Group

1 cup of raw leafy vegetables
1/2 cup of other vegetables cooked or raw
3/4 cup of vegetable juice

If you want more precise measurements

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=101.12

Last edited:
FlexGunship said:
... Surely there's something behind this statement ...

There absolutely is. It's called "marketing hype" and it's the basis behind all such claims.

I don't mean that there is necessarily no truth to such claims but it's likely there is relatively little truth.

Evo said:
It tells you exactly what a serving is in US measurements. What do you think a "serving" is?

I meant that it doesn't tell you how to formulate your own measure of a serving for a vegetable that's not in one of those three forms.

Evo said:

I think those are just rules governing "serving size" which is kind of different, right? V8 is said to have two full servings of vegetables per serving of V8. I guess a "Serving of vegetables" is pretty subjective if it doesn't come in one of the predefined formats. That might be why "It Works" can say their "Greens" product has 8+ servings of whatever.

FlexGunship said:
I meant that it doesn't tell you how to formulate your own measure of a serving for a vegetable that's not in one of those three forms.
No, it's for "real food".

I think those are just rules governing "serving size" which is kind of different, right? V8 is said to have two full servings of vegetables per serving of V8. I guess a "Serving of vegetables" is pretty subjective if it doesn't come in one of the predefined formats. That might be why "It Works" can say their "Greens" product has 8+ servings of whatever.
There is a breakdown of the percentage of the vegetables in V8, saw it not too long ago, I'll see if I can find it. It was something like 72% tomato.

I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer and demand to know the percentage of each vegetable in each serving and weight before dehydration of each vegetable.

This appears to be yet another multilevel marketing health scam. The FDA has become an eviscerated agency thanks to being hit by both the wacko left and the wacko right. This product isn't "food", and it isn't a "drug", so the FDA is pretty much powerless to stop the false claims.

One advantage of fresher (less-processed) foods may be contributions from their less obvious constituents, like mRNA:

http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v22/n1/full/cr2011158a.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22354805

Which may not stick around in post-processing (such as dehydration). Dehydrated foods may not be as easy for your body to absorb nutrients from.

FlexGunship said:
What would vegetables look like if you just removed the water? Surely water doesn't really add or subtract from the nutritional value (beyond standard hydration).

"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together."
-Carl Sagan

Enigman said:
Er...miRNA(micro RNA) you mean? mRNA(messenger RNA) can be synthesized in our cells and won't needed to be taken as a nutrient (as far as I know).

All mRNA is not the same. They're each their own little bit of code that act as a blueprint for different proteins. The proposal here is that consumed plant mRNA can regulate the expression of mammalian genes.

Pythagorean said:
All mRNA is not the same. They're each their own little bit of code that act as a blueprint for different proteins. The proposal here is that consumed plant mRNA can regulate the expression of mammalian genes.

Ah, okay got it.
need some clarification:
the miRNA the Nature article talks about (MIR168a) is complementary to mammalian mRNA (LDLRAP1) and will bind to it inhibiting translation of the RNA so the proteins that it codes for won't be formed- have I got that right? (got a bit lost in the jargon)
And a question:
What is the difference between miRNA and mRNA? While they are being synthesized, I mean. Is the transcription different or is it just a difference in number of base pairs?
Thanks!

I think so, but be warned I'm not a molecular biologist, so I get lost in the jargon too.

miRNA is "non-coding" RNA. It's not translated into a protein like mRNA, it participates in other ways (signaling, modulating, etc).

To answer your question, no it is not a viable nutritional supplement. It won't do you any harm, but those claims are outrageous. I've tried several of those miracle supplements for no reason, and every time that I read the claims, I chuckle. There is no way that drinking something that usually tastes rather pleasant can replace eating vegetables and fruits. As aforementioned, I doubt that they're bad, but I also doubt that they're even close to as good as they say they are.

D H said:
This appears to be yet another multilevel marketing health scam. The FDA has become an eviscerated agency thanks to being hit by both the wacko left and the wacko right. This product isn't "food", and it isn't a "drug", so the FDA is pretty much powerless to stop the false claims.

Indeed. In addition, if herbal products are anything to go by, you don't even know what you are buying, regardless of the labelling:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/222

Yeah, I just force down a couple of cans of V8 each day now...

1. What are the benefits of It Works Greens?

The benefits of It Works Greens include providing 8+ servings of fruits and vegetables in just 10 calories, which can help improve overall health and nutrition. It also contains essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to support immune function, increase energy levels, and promote healthy digestion.

2. How does It Works Greens compare to other green supplements?

It Works Greens sets itself apart from other green supplements by using a proprietary blend of over 38 fruits and vegetables, including a blend of superfoods like broccoli, spirulina, and chlorella. It also contains prebiotic fiber to support healthy gut bacteria and probiotics for improved digestion.

3. Can I replace my daily servings of fruits and vegetables with It Works Greens?

While It Works Greens is a convenient way to get essential nutrients from fruits and vegetables, it should not be used as a replacement for whole fruits and vegetables in your diet. Whole fruits and vegetables provide important fiber, which is not present in the supplement, and should still be incorporated into a healthy diet.

4. Is It Works Greens safe for children?

It Works Greens is generally safe for children, but it is always best to consult with a pediatrician before giving any supplement to a child. The recommended serving size for children is half of the adult serving size. It is also important to note that It Works Greens does contain caffeine from green tea extract, so it may not be suitable for all children.

5. Can I take It Works Greens if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

It is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement while pregnant or breastfeeding. While the ingredients in It Works Greens are generally safe, some may be contraindicated for pregnant or breastfeeding women. It is best to err on the side of caution and seek professional advice before taking any supplement.