Frame of reference in a simple harmonic motion vertical spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of the frame of reference in a simple harmonic motion vertical spring. The traditional approach is to choose the origin in the equilibrium position and the positive direction downward, resulting in Newton's second law being ma=-kx. However, the person wants to put the positive direction upward, resulting in Hook's law being positive and Newton's second law being ma=kx. They are unsure if this expression is correct for negative distance downward. The expert explains that the force is always in the opposite direction of displacement, so it does not matter if the positive direction is upward or downward. However, the presence of gravity changes the equation, and it should be taken into consideration when determining the direction of displacement.
david22
I have doubts of how can I put my frame of reference in a simple harmonic motion vertical spring. Normally the books choose the origin in the equilibrium position and the positive distance (x>0) downward, and in this conditions Newton´s second law is: ma=-kx; but instead of putting the positive distance downward I want to put it upward, so the negative distance (x<0) is downward and in this conditions Hook´s law is going to be positive(because positive direction is upward) so Newton´s second law is: ma=kx
I want you to tell me if the last expression is correct for the negative distance downward. I would appreciate your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Phew - for a moment you had me worried you wanted to work out the frame of reference with the coordinate system attached to the mass (i.e. non-inertial).

Off what you actually want to know... I don't think you found the relation you want ... ma=kx says that the acceleration in the +x direction (upwards) is proportional to the displacement upwards ... so the higher the mass gets, the faster it goes. I think you need to to slow down as it goes higher?

Consider:

##\vec{F}=-k\vec{x}## - because the force is always in the opposite direction to the displacement.
Does not matter if you put +ve upwards or downwards.
In this case, it's all 1D so ##\vec{x}=x\hat{\imath}## and we write:

##-kx\hat{\imath} = ma\hat{\imath}##

...and we can divide out the unit vectors and work in magnitudes.

Except that there's still something wrong with this model: there's no gravity!
The presence of gravity is what makes "up" and "down" special, otherwise it's the same as saying "forward" and "back" - gravity is what changes the equation.

If +ve is up, then gravity is negative:
... you should be able to take it from there :)

What is a frame of reference in simple harmonic motion?

A frame of reference in simple harmonic motion is a point of view from which the motion of an object is observed. It is used to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object.

How does a vertical spring affect the frame of reference in simple harmonic motion?

A vertical spring affects the frame of reference in simple harmonic motion by providing a point of reference for the motion of the object attached to it. The position of the object is measured relative to the spring, and the spring's movement creates a reference point for the object's motion.

What is the equilibrium position in a simple harmonic motion with a vertical spring?

The equilibrium position in a simple harmonic motion with a vertical spring is the position where the net force on the object is zero. This is where the object is at rest and has no acceleration. In other words, it is the position where the spring is neither stretched nor compressed.

How does the frame of reference change when the object is at the equilibrium position in a simple harmonic motion with a vertical spring?

When the object is at the equilibrium position, the frame of reference does not change. However, the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object are all affected by the forces acting on it, including the force from the spring. The frame of reference remains constant, but the measurements within that frame will change as the object moves.

What factors affect the frame of reference in a simple harmonic motion with a vertical spring?

The frame of reference in a simple harmonic motion with a vertical spring can be affected by the amplitude, frequency, and damping of the motion. The amplitude determines the maximum displacement of the object from the equilibrium position, the frequency determines the rate at which the object oscillates, and damping affects the amplitude and frequency of the motion. Additionally, external forces such as gravity or friction can also impact the frame of reference.