2 Reactions of 2 objects are not at equilibrium

In summary, the two objects in question are not at equilibrium because the forces that act on them do not add up to zero. This is due to the fact that the forces act on different objects and do not cancel each other out.
kira506
Why are the reactions from two objects not at equilibrium ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question. In particular, I don't understand what you mean by "reactions [...] not at equilibrium". Can you please give a specific example?

jtbell said:
I don't understand your question. In particular, I don't understand what you mean by "reactions [...] not at equilibrium". Can you please give a specific example?

sorry , I was in a hurry XD
I meant if a body is placed on a smooth surface ,the surface exerts a reaction on the body and so does the body so why are they not at equilinrium , I know its because of the weight mg , I know , but I can't understand why , I mean the 2 reactions are enough bec. According to Newton) 3rd law , every action has a reaction equal in magnitude but opposite in direction , unless the values of reactions are not equal ?

I still cannot make sense of your question because "if a body is placed on a smooth surface ,the surface exerts a reaction on the body and so does the body" (assuming the surface is horizontal) then we do have an equilibrium situation. As long as all force vectors cancel, so there is no net force, then we have equilibrium. I also do not understand "unless the values of the reactions are not equal". That is certainly NOT part of Newton's 3rd law.

kira506 said:
so why are they not at equilinrium

You still haven't said what you mean by "not at equilibrium." Like HallsofIvy, I don't understand what you're really asking about.

Right now, my coffee cup is resting on the table next to my elbow. The table exerts an upwards force on the coffee cup. The coffee cup exerts a downwards force on the table. These two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, according to Newton's Third Law. The coffee cup is also in equilibrium, because it's stationary (not accelerating).

Note however, that the reason why the coffee cup is in equilibrium is not because the two forces named above add up to zero, because those two forces act on different objects. (Maybe this is what is confusing you?)

The coffee cup is in equilibrium because the forces that act on it add up to zero. One force is the upwards force exerted by the table. The other force is the downwards gravitational force exerted by the earth. These two forces add up to zero, therefore the coffee cup is in equlibrium.

1. What is meant by "2 reactions of 2 objects are not at equilibrium?"

This means that two separate chemical reactions involving two different substances are not occurring at the same rate, resulting in an imbalance between the reactants and products.

2. What factors can cause 2 reactions of 2 objects to not be at equilibrium?

Several factors can contribute to this imbalance, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products, as well as the presence of a catalyst or inhibitor.

3. How does the principle of Le Chatelier apply to 2 reactions of 2 objects not at equilibrium?

The principle of Le Chatelier states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will shift in a direction that minimizes the disturbance. In the case of 2 reactions of 2 objects not at equilibrium, the system will shift to try and reach equilibrium by adjusting the rates of the two reactions.

4. Can 2 reactions of 2 objects ever reach equilibrium?

Yes, under certain conditions, the two reactions can reach equilibrium where the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal and there is no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

5. How can the equilibrium constant be used to determine if 2 reactions of 2 objects are at equilibrium?

The equilibrium constant, K, can be calculated using the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. If K is equal to 1, then the two reactions are at equilibrium. If K is greater than 1, then the products are favored and the reaction proceeds forward. If K is less than 1, then the reactants are favored and the reaction proceeds in reverse.