Demonstration to show convection in class

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking suggestions for a simple experiment to demonstrate convection. One suggestion is to use potassium permanganate crystals in a beaker of water, while another is to use a candle and smoking paper in a divided beaker. A third suggestion involves using hand placement near a candle flame to demonstrate convection.
lcg
I have to do a demonstration to show convection in class.
I was wondering what could be a simple experiment to set up in which I could show that convection exists. I've had a few ideas and am wondering if you could come up with any. :shy:
Thanks,
lcg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The std one is potassium permanganate (or whatever its new name is) crystals dropped through a glass tube into the edge of a big beaker of water.
Put your finger on the end of the tube, remove the coloured water in the tube and discard this.
Then, heat the 'corner' of the beaker where the crystals are and watch the dissolving crystals set up beautiful convection currents.

Or how about the old mine ventilation one?

I'll try your suggestion. I'm not sure whether I can use school equipment that's why it's got to be simple but I think I have some potassium permanganate crystals somewhere here. I'll check and explore your suggestion.
Thanks.

You can also demonstrate convection by this simple experiment I suggest here. Firstly, get a beaker with medium size. Then, separate the beaker into halves by a white paper/cardboard, but leaving some space at the bottom of beaker to allow the flow of air. Thirdly, put a light candle at one side of the beaker. Afterwards, light a smoking paper and point it at the other side of the beaker. As a result, you can see the flow of smoke down to beaker and then up to the candle side. This flow of smoke indicates the convection of air

Icg,

This probably wouldn't demonstrate convection as obviously as the previous two, but in a pinch (and with some explanation from you) it might work. Jjust have each of two people in your audience hold their had twelve inches from a candle flame, one straight above and one to the side of the flame. The fact that the hand above the flame gets hot faster can only be accounted for with convection. Can you explain why?

1. How does convection work?

Convection is a process in which heat is transferred through the movement of fluids (such as air or water). This happens because hot fluids are less dense and rise, while cooler fluids are denser and sink. This creates a cycle of movement that transfers heat from one area to another.

2. What materials do I need to demonstrate convection?

To demonstrate convection, you will need a heat source (such as a hot plate or candle), a clear glass container, food coloring, and water. You may also want to have some type of barrier (such as a piece of cardboard) to help contain the movement of the fluids.

3. How can I show convection in action?

To show convection, fill the glass container with water and add a few drops of food coloring. Place the container on top of the heat source and observe the movement of the colored water. You should see the water near the heat source rise and move towards the cooler areas, creating a convection current.

4. What are some real-life examples of convection?

Convection is a common process that occurs in many natural and human-made systems. Some examples include the movement of hot air balloons (as the heated air inside the balloon rises), ocean currents (as warm water moves towards the poles and cold water sinks towards the equator), and the heating and cooling of buildings (as warm air rises and cool air sinks).

5. Can convection be used for more than just transferring heat?

Yes, convection can also be used for other purposes such as mixing and stirring fluids. For example, in a convection oven, a fan is used to circulate hot air and evenly distribute heat, resulting in more efficient cooking. Convection can also be used in industrial processes to mix and heat substances.