Can a Flexible Air Bag Help Humans Breathe Like Fish Underwater?

• Thread starter Shawnzyoo
  • Start date
In summary: The diagram does not show the entire device, just the part that is used to extract the gas. The device does not use flexible air bags, it uses a rigid casing with a hole in the middle. The device is used by Navy divers to extract gas from underwater mines. The gas that is extracted is not used by Navy divers, it is used to produce energy. Recreational divers do not use this type of device to extract gas from underwater mines.
Shawnzyoo
Just curious to see what some of the people here think of this

http://www.isracast.com/tech_news/310505_tech.htm

Seems legitimate and fairly logical, just wondering if it would be efficienct.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculations showed that a one kilo Lithium battery can provide a diver with about one hour of diving time.

I will be glad if someone opines about this energy consumption. I think one kilo of Lithium battery each hour of diving could be too much and very expensive.

A kilogram lithium battery? Probably cost a good $400...

Clausius2 said:
I will be glad if someone opines about this energy consumption. I think one kilo of Lithium battery each hour of diving could be too much and very expensive.

That was my first thought as well. The power load is too high.

If its rechargeable it might not be that bad. My first reaction though was that it would be difficult to swim with a centrifuge on your back.

russ_watters said:
If its rechargeable it might not be that bad. My first reaction though was that it would be difficult to swim with a centrifuge on your back.

I keep on thinking that battery would be:

i) too heavy
ii) too expensive
iii) it would spend a very large time for recharging.

1 Kilo of Litium! My cell phone has a battery (I think it is Ni), they are too expensive and it is very small!.

Clausius2 said:
I keep on thinking that battery would be:

i) too heavy
ii) too expensive
iii) it would spend a very large time for recharging.

1 Kilo of Litium! My cell phone has a battery (I think it is Ni), they are too expensive and it is very small!.
It says a 1 kilo battery, not 1 kilo of lithum (not sure how much lithium is in a 1 kilo battery). I have a battery for my camcorder that's bigger than that - it cost about $50 and will run my camcorder for like 10 hours.

I wonder what the water flow and power consumption rates are for something like that.

russ_watters said:

Perhaps they can build an efficient centrifuge using MEMs technology, that would cut down on the battery size requirement. :biggrin:

I can't tell from the diagram -- is that flexible air bag housed within a rigid casing of some sort? Otherwise, won't the water pressure keep forcing all the air right back out of it?

I also don't know much about the ratio of gases dissolved in water at differing depths. Is it uniform throughout, or would a different gas mixture be extracted depending on depth? I'm also wondering why Navy divers would use this. Don't their divers use special mixes of gases to reduce the risk of decompression sickness and nitrogen narcossis in longer duration or deeper dives than recreational divers?

1. How do humans breathe like fish?

Humans and fish both use a process called respiration to obtain oxygen. While fish use gills to extract oxygen from water, humans use lungs to extract oxygen from the air.

2. Is it true that humans can breathe underwater like fish?

No, this is a common misconception. While humans can hold their breath for a short period of time underwater, they cannot extract oxygen from the water like fish. Humans need to come up for air to breathe.

3. Are there any similarities between human lungs and fish gills?

Yes, both human lungs and fish gills have a large surface area to facilitate gas exchange. They also both have thin membranes that allow for the diffusion of gases.

4. Can humans survive in water for a long time like fish?

No, humans are not adapted for living in water like fish. While we can hold our breath for a short time, our bodies are not designed to extract oxygen efficiently from water. Living in water for a long time without proper equipment can be dangerous for humans.

5. Are there any other animals that breathe like fish?

Yes, there are other aquatic animals such as amphibians and reptiles that also use gills to extract oxygen from water. However, as they mature, some of these animals develop lungs and can also breathe air like humans do.