Calculating the Present Value of an Annuity with Annual Compounding

• Thread starter TonyC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    annuity
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving the value of an annuity with $1000 to be deposited for 18 years at 4.5% interest compounded annually. The formula used is A= P[(1 + r)^m - 1]/r and it is determined that either there is a typo in the equation or it is a simple compound interest problem.
TonyC
I am having trouble with the following problem:
What will be the value of an annuity in today's dollars if $1000 is to be deposited for 18 years into an account paying 4.5% interest compounded annually?

I used the following formula (I'm guessing I've figured something incorrectly)

A= P[(1 + r)^m - 1]/r

P=1000
r=i/n
i=4.5% or .045
n=1
t=18
m=n(t) or 18

1000[1 + .045)^18 - 1/.045

I know this is incorrect because my choices are multiple choice

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of possibilities. One, your last equation either has a typo or you did it wrong:

1000[1 + .045)^18 - 1/.045 ==> should be [tex]\frac{1000[(1 + .045)^{18} - 1]}{.045}[/tex]

The second is that it's not an annuity problem but rather a simple compound interest problem [tex]FV = PV(1+r)^m[/tex]

Thank you very much.

1. What is an annuity compounded annually?

An annuity compounded annually is a financial product that involves making regular payments into an account, with the interest being compounded on an annual basis. This means that the interest earned in one year is added to the principal, and the interest for the following year is calculated based on the new, higher amount.

2. How is the interest compounded in an annuity?

In an annuity compounded annually, the interest is added to the principal at the end of each year. This means that the interest earned in one year will earn interest in subsequent years, leading to a higher overall return.

3. What is the difference between an annuity compounded annually and one compounded monthly?

The main difference between an annuity compounded annually and one compounded monthly is the frequency at which the interest is added to the principal. In an annuity compounded monthly, the interest is added on a monthly basis, resulting in a higher overall return compared to an annuity compounded annually.

4. How does an annuity compounded annually affect my retirement savings?

An annuity compounded annually can have a significant impact on your retirement savings. By regularly contributing to an annuity and allowing the interest to compound on an annual basis, you can potentially accumulate a larger amount of money for your retirement years.

5. Are there any drawbacks to choosing an annuity compounded annually?

One potential drawback of choosing an annuity compounded annually is that the interest rates may be lower compared to other compounding frequencies, such as monthly or daily. Additionally, early withdrawal penalties may apply if you need to access your funds before the agreed-upon term. It is important to carefully consider all factors before choosing an annuity compounded annually.