Kinetic energy, movement <-> energy ?

by miibay
Tags: <>, energy, kinetic, kinetic energy, movement
miibay
Nov28-13, 12:40 PM
P: 1
Hi there,

I always thought that kinetic energy was the energy associated to a movement, ie, I have a ball in movement so I had printed the energy of my body on it when I kicked the ball, right? So I gave energy to the ball that started to move it. energy -> movement.
However, I was reading the book 'Principles of Chemistry' and in its definition of Kinetic energy they have 'energy given to a body by its movement', which according to my understanding means that I gave the energy to the ball when I kicked it and then the ball started to move, so movement -> energy.

Please help me!! I'm so confused!!

Thank you all in advance :)
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
MRI sensor that enables long-term monitoring of oxygen levels could aid cancer diagnosis, treatment
The anti-inflammatory factory
Doc Al
Nov28-13, 12:58 PM
Mentor
P: 40,905
A body in motion has kinetic energy. (See: Kinetic Energy)

When you kicked the ball, you exerted a force on the ball through a certain distance, which resulted in the ball gaining kinetic energy.

Register to reply