Collision of B1 & B2: Solving the Homework Statement

In summary, the problem discusses two balls, B1 and B2, located at (0,0) and (d,h) respectively, with B1 being launched at a speed of vi towards B2 at t=0. B2 falls towards the ground with zero initial velocity due to gravity. The problem asks when and where the balls will collide, and if a collision would occur under different circumstances. The equations used to solve this problem are v_f = v_i + a\Deltat, s_f = s_i +v\Deltat +1/2a\Deltat^2, and v_f^2 = v_i^2 +2a\Deltas. Using these equations, the time of collision can be found
sam.

Homework Statement

Ball 1 (B1) and Ball 2 (B2) are located at (x,y)=(0,0) and (x,y)=(d,h).
At t=0, B1 is sent towards the initial location of B2 with a speed vi. At the same
instant that B1 is launched, B2 falls towards the ground with zero initial velocity.
Assume there is no air resistance.

A diagram is attached below.

1. When and where do B1 and B2 collide?
2. If the initial speed of B1 is larger than vi, does a collision occur?
3. If B1 is directed towards a point slightly above the initial location of B2, can a
collision occur?
4. If B2 has an initial speed Vi in the negative y-direction, can B1 collide with B2?

Homework Equations

1. v_f = v_i + a[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
2. s_f = s_i +v[tex]\Delta[/tex]t +1/2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]t^2
3. v_f^2 = v_i^2 +2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]s
4. s_f = s_i + v[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I am really, really confused about this problem, but I tried #1.
I solved for the distance that Ball 1 travels using equation 4 and got:
s(ball 1) = cos[tex]\theta[/tex]v_it_1
Then for Ball 2 I used equation 2:
S(BALL 2) = h + 4.9t_1^2
Then I made both these equal each other:
h + 4.9t_1^2 - cos[tex]\theta[/tex]v_it_1 = 0
Now I know I can solve for time using quadratic formula but I'm not sure how to find where the balls meet. Also I am completely lost on how to solve for the rest of the questions. Please, someone help me out! Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Physics pic.bmp
    151 KB · Views: 549
Physics news on Phys.org
you can't use equation four because it is not constant velocity, (gravity has a role) therefore you'd have to use equation two twice for B1 and B2 then have the two equal because that will give you time of collision (it won't be a quadratic) then use T to get distance. Btw you used Cos(theta) when its Sin because its vertical component. and you know the x distance is d because that's where B2 is dropped so use vertical distance of B1 and d to find co-ordinate of the collision. i did it just now everything worked out fine.

1. What is the "Collision of B1 & B2" problem?

The "Collision of B1 & B2" problem is a physics homework statement that involves two objects, B1 and B2, colliding with each other. The goal of the problem is to determine the resulting velocities and/or positions of the objects after the collision.

2. What is the importance of solving this problem?

The "Collision of B1 & B2" problem is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of physics, such as conservation of momentum and energy. It also has practical applications, such as in the design and safety of vehicles and other structures.

3. What are the steps to solving this problem?

The steps to solving the "Collision of B1 & B2" problem include identifying the given information, applying the relevant equations (such as conservation of momentum and energy), and solving for the unknown variables. It is also important to consider the type of collision (elastic or inelastic) and the direction of motion of the objects.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving this problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the "Collision of B1 & B2" problem include forgetting to account for the direction of motion, using the wrong equations, and not properly converting units. It is also important to check for mistakes in calculations and to ensure that all the given information is being used correctly.

5. Are there any tips for solving this problem efficiently?

Some tips for solving the "Collision of B1 & B2" problem efficiently include drawing a diagram or using vector notation to understand the motion of the objects, writing out all the given information and unknown variables before starting to solve, and double-checking all calculations and units. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps and to practice similar problems to improve problem-solving skills.